SuperTech 5w30 full-syn now dexos1 Gen2

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those needing dexos1 Gen2, or indeed anybody that values proven LSPI performance and lower timing chain wear, SuperTech is on the shelves.
Anybody know if its Lubrizol, Oronite, Afton, or Infineum supplying Warren Distribution with the dexos1 Gen2 DI package? It practically wouldn't matter, yet nice to know what one is buying for fanatics.
Up til now, I've seen Valvoline Synpower with the Gen2 as well. No others seen yet. Many Walmarts, so maybe they are all filling in with other brands(????).

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Is Warren still producing Walmart's Super Tech oils? Amalie is on the bottles at my local Wallyworld.
IIRC, Walmart's SuperTech would be differently source based on what U.S. state or country you bought it in. Reports were Warren Distribution in most of the U.S. and Amalie's name came up before too in other parts.
It should be stamped on the bottom of the jugs or bottles. WPP for Warren, and AOC for Amalie. Amalie blended in FL. Warren in Nebraska or Iowa.

I wonder if Dexos1 Gen2 is the underlying reason behind Walmart's recent switch from Citgo to Warren supplied ST around here.

According to the Dexos Site, SuperTech shares the license number with a number of other Warren blended oils. Interestingly, there is no Amalie Super Tech represented.
Also it seems that Super Tech Synthetic 0w-20 is also a thing, though I can't recall if I've seen it on the shelf yet.

tKn8O7W.png

G25lXEo.png

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I've seen RP Dexos Gen.2 at Walmart, along with Valvoline
That is three identified, Valv, RP, and SuperTech.
Wonder if the dye RP adds still allows the additive package (I assume they purchase as a commodity), to be certified dexos1 Gen2 using some 'innocuous substance' rule in Base Oil Interchange??? BOI. Noticing RP does not share a license number with anyone else.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
According to the Dexos Site, SuperTech shares the license number with a number of other Warren blended oils.
Great list. Follow the license numbers, and they have to all be using the same sourced additive package.
Its a good compatibility list.
Interestingly, there is no Amalie Super Tech represented.
Noticed Amalie has their own unique license numbers, not sharing it with any other label.
Also it seems that Super Tech Synthetic 0w-20 is also a thing, though I can't recall if I've seen it on the shelf yet.
Its not even on Walmart.com for order. Might be coming soon since 0w20 is getting to be mainstream.

I stopped by the oil aisle when I was in WM late last week buying some party snacks and still only saw a couple of flavors of Valvoline 5W30 synth with the Gen 2 logo on the front.
M1 5W30 and 0W20 AP have had Gen 2 license numbers since they came out, but the bottles I've seen have only had the old dexos1 logo.

I would imagine that it's going to take quite a while for all the new bottles marked with Gen 2 to show up on shelves, but I was really impressed with how early in September (when Gen 2 went live) I saw the new Valvoline bottles.

as always the old stuff gets sold out, even if a sale is necessary, then the new comes in. when the "synthetic" advertising law changed Mobil I slowly changed from PAO to cheaper group III oils as the shelves got restocked!!!

Supertech Synthetic has always been a good oil and I've used it several times.

The fact that it now carries the Dexos certification only proves officially that it is a good oil. My only gripe is that for a couple dollars more I can get Mobil 1. I use a lot of Supertech for customer oil changes still, where every dollar saved counts.

^^^^ With all the rebates/closeouts on M1, Pennzoil, QSUD, Peak and Havoline, they are substantially cheaper then SuperTech.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
^^^^ With all the rebates/closeouts on M1, Pennzoil, QSUD, Peak and Havoline, they are substantially cheaper then SuperTech.

So true and that makes ST sometimes not the best deal.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I've seen RP Dexos Gen.2 at Walmart, along with Valvoline
That is three identified, Valv, RP, and SuperTech.
Wonder if the dye RP adds still allows the additive package (I assume they purchase as a commodity), to be certified dexos1 Gen2 using some 'innocuous substance' rule in Base Oil Interchange??? BOI. Noticing RP does not share a license number with anyone else.

Quaker State is also Gen 2, semi-synth and the Ultimate Durability.

Interesting thing is going to be if any of these new Gen2 oils will have high calcium and/or high sodium levels. VOAs and UOAs to come...
Might even see more moly in some, as mo' moly reduces LSPI (for Gen2 qualification) events. More ZDDP does too but they can't increase that without fouling catalysts.

Yup,

It's at my local Walmart now as well. When you think about it, there really is no reason NOT to use or recommend this synthetic if it meets all the specs you need. It has always performed well in PQIA tests and the rare PDS i've seen, looked good too.

Yes, interesting times indeed in the motor oil world. I'd love to see PQIA's VOAs of these current Gen2 oils too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back