Super Tech ST16 Cut Open 3500 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe the ecore gets a bigger pass here than the orange can. As said on another recent orange can dissection thread, the biggest issue 'most' here now have with the orange can is cost for construction. Paying more for less.

The ecore otoh, has a number of things going against it. One is the use of a nitrile combo valve in many applications. And, the open cage nylon center tube combined with less than tight uniform pleating.

Nitrile is known to become less pliable with use and temperature change, hot and cold. When it's just functioning as an adbv in a traditional separate adbv and bypass, the worst you get with degradation may be some start up rattle. Not generally a catastrophic event. However, in a combo valve design the bypass function may also fail or not function properly which can lead to other issues, perhaps even the blown out media that has been posted here (see link below)*. The flattening of media in spots and blown out media are what concern many here.

All that said, looks like the ST16 posted here held up and did it's job. The same exact filter can now be found as a MicroGard MGL16, but instead of costing ~$2.84 at Wally it now lists for $3.79 at O'R.
whistle.gif

*http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1806202&page=1

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Years ago, when Ecores first came out, weren't they loved on this forum?

Yes, they used to be loved here. When they first came out, I had a little discussion with a current site moderator where he heaped all kids of praise on the e-core and I said that it was an average or below-average filter. I haven't heard much from him lately on the subject.
With that being said, I've used dozens of them over the last few years without a problem. I won't go out of my way to buy them, but if O'Reillys has an oil/filter special that involves an e-core filter, I won't throw it away. IMO, the tearing of the media (if and when it does happen) occurs at the very first startup when everything is dry and the incoming oil hits the media really hard.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
IMO, the tearing of the media (if and when it does happen) occurs at the very first startup when everything is dry and the incoming oil hits the media really hard.

Just what you need ... a hole in the media for the entire OCI.

Could also be as sayjac mentioned, that the combo ADBV/bypass valve doesn't work well in cold temperatures, and that in turn causes too much delta-P across the media which flattens and blows out the media against the wide open center cage.

Regardless of the cause ... having a large chunk of media go in to the engine isn't a good thing!

Originally Posted By: steve20
thanks for the pics-why the early oci?

No reason really, other than me still working up the nerve to do a one year interval on the truck. This time I am absolutely going to run the oil for a complete year.

i stay far away from them although the flow is supposed to be one of the best. I dont know from experience but according to the gm speakers that come to the seminars the flow is great.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i stay far away from them although the flow is supposed to be one of the best. I dont know from experience but according to the gm speakers that come to the seminars the flow is great.

The flow is the best once the media has a big gaping hole in it!

Originally Posted By: ernied
i think the company would have been out of bussiness long ago if they were destroying engins.

Maybe that's why Walmart stopped selling the Super Tech filters (a few engine claims?). Why else would they stop?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: ernied
i think the company would have been out of bussiness long ago if they were destroying engins.

Maybe that's why Walmart stopped selling the Super Tech filters (a few engine claims?). Why else would they stop?

Because people were using them for (2) OCI's?
lol.gif

My son used the ST 4967 on his 96 Corolla and never had any problems.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
21.gif

How does he know ... did he cut the filter open to see if it was good? If not, you have no idea what could have happened unless your motor blows up and then you know something happened.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
21.gif

How does he know ... did he cut the filter open to see if it was good? If not, you have no idea what could have happened unless your motor blows up and then you know something happened.

Well, he has 199K miles on it now and was using ST oil filters from about 118K to about 150-160K miles. The car is still being driven, but currently has a P1 filter on it. I would say that the engine has not suffered, unless I put my x-ray glasses on.........
grin.gif

But no, we never cut an ST filter open. Are they supposed to be bad filters?
confused.gif

But no, we never cut an ST filter open. Are they supposed to be bad filters?
confused.gif

Depends on what your definition of what "bad" is ... for me, they are not worth using, so bad enough from my perspective.

Then you hit it right on the head, as why they probably stopped selling them. BTW, who made them?

Hey, look what I found!
laugh.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1077328

That was 3 years ago when "love was blind" ... now 3 years later (after reality has set in) people realize they weren't as cool as they thought. Keep searching, I think you'll see why lots of people don't like them as much today.

.....My son used the ST 4967 on his 96 Corolla and never had any problems.
21.gif

The ST 4967 is a < 3" diameter filter like the ST7317 and thus is standard/classic construction, ie., not an ecore. Check out the link.

Super Tech 4967

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

The flow is the best once the media has a big gaping hole in it!

LOL No kidding!

Originally Posted By: sayjac
.....My son used the ST 4967 on his 96 Corolla and never had any problems.
21.gif

The ST 4967 is a classic construction, ie., not an ecore. Check out the link.

Super Tech 4967

I think the ST 4967 was the best selling ST filter WM sold.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back