Super Tech Oil Filter ST 3614

I am familiar with some low end oil filters but I was not with this ST 3614. I could not view the end caps or bypass valve design on this filter by looking at them in the store. So I bought one to C&P, unused. Sharing here if you are interested. This filter fits four of my vehicles. Looks good enough for a 5K run for sure. For a 10K run, I am not sure.

Sfpn5L90TjmS3991NI8MMA.jpg

%vyfjpzrRPOuAs36GACS+Q.jpg

ykGAFOQxRZuxSRRTyqvKuQ.jpg

dB5I5IMbSf+O+mUNfK0Lmw.jpg

xRBZ1%0CTUC7uu5mMUboWA.jpg

dBn%E2opSJCliJ+obaymXA.jpg

ELnl6AH1TISLDC0sHgP%OQ.jpg

TFlYAgz6Q4ahG7ImPAUW0Q.jpg

Yeah not a big fan of this but it's probably servicable for a short OCI, and probably half the price of a Fram orange can.

Not enough glue imo, looks like the bare minimum. I don't mind using glued seam and fiber cap e cores but I'd rather see excess instead of insufficiency.

How hard was it to peel the end cap off the ends of the pleats? Looks similar to the original Champ Labs thinner fiber end plate design (heat bonded?) used way back when Champ Labs first came out with the eCore center tube.

Too wide of spacing it would've probably busted the seam by 5.1k. I do want to see more of these Super Tech filters though. Maybe the extended mileage line.

The extended use (20K mile rated) SuperTech MP series in the blue can has metal end caps and silicone ADBV. Efficiency isn't any better as the white ST series at 99% @ 30u.

Whip City Wrencher has compared this with the MP, the media was identical. I think I would not hesitate buying an ST myself in the future.

Whip City Wrencher has compared this with the MP, the media was identical. I think I would not hesitate buying an ST myself in the future.
He's also got a video showing that the leaf spring seal is leaky on the MP, since the leaf spring has ridges on it and doesn't mate well to the end cap. The ST has these ridges too and probably doesn't seal all that well either.

He's also got a video showing that the leaf spring seal is leaky on the MP, since the leaf spring has ridges on it and doesn't mate well to the end cap. The ST has these ridges too and probably doesn't seal all that well either.
ah, i watched his videos on shining lights through filters, but i'm not convinced there is a problem.

I am familiar with some low end oil filters but I was not with this ST 3614. I could not view the end caps or bypass valve design on this filter by looking at them in the store. So I bought one to C&P, unused. Sharing here if you are interested. This filter fits four of my vehicles. Looks good enough for a 5K run for sure. For a 10K run, I am not sure.

View attachment 212428

View attachment 212431

View attachment 212432

View attachment 212434

View attachment 212439

View attachment 212440

View attachment 212441

View attachment 212442
The ecores I’ve used on my hemi have all had metal end caps except 1 had the felt. I dunno why but it t held up fine for the oci.

Polyester endcaps used on 1st generation Champ ecore. I prefer the metal used on MP series and ACDelco, On the plus side, it does have a separate dome poppet bypass, no combo valve like first generation. Based on recent WM visit seems ST series may be only ones left. :( Topic filter ok, serviceable for the money especially for OPE use. Personally though, I'd look for another option at this level, even for bit more money.

Supertech oil filters seem to be well made for the price, at least right now. I cut open an ST6607 last year and was pleasantly surprised.
'If history indicative,' and without seeing, I'm going to say unlike the topic polyester, the ST6607 has metal endcaps. For whatever reason, Champ ecore line always used metal caps on smallest filter applications like 6607 and 7317.

As aside, in another WM yesterday no MP series filters in stock, but unlike previously mentioned WM, spaces on shelves still there for them.

Back