Sunoco Ultra full synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this oil the other day at a local Sunoco gas station. It was $5 a quart has an everyday price. Which surprised me a bit because as we all know gas stations usually charge a lot if money for just about everything including oil. I've seen prices of $7 a qt for conventional oils at some stations.
Well, this Sunoco Ultra full synthetic is Dexos 1 approved, ACEA A1/A5, API SN, ILSAC GF-5 and a couple of others has well. Has a VI of 165, HTHS of 3.0, TBN > 8, CCS of 5000 @ -30°F, and a NOACK of 11. All of which seems rather solid. I'm guessing it's primarily a group 3 hydocracked synthetic oil. I haven't seen the msds yet. I will say that it was very clean and almost clear like Pennzoil Platinum when I checked the level after adding it to my car. I could hardly see it on the dipstick.

So for $5 a quart not on sale it seems to be a solid deal especially given its at a gas station. I am giving it a run to see how well it does. May well be a very good product.

Are there any other non big name products that anyone else has run that performed very well? I looked at a oil made by Amalie. They make oil for Carquest. It has some good approvals has well. I'm not against Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, Havoline etc... I like them plus a number of others. Just surprised to find a product that was reasonably priced with good certifications that wasn't a major brand. Any others out there that anyone has tried that is pretty good? Thanks in advance for any insights
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I found this oil the other day at a local Sunoco gas station. It was $5 a quart has an everyday price. Which surprised me a bit because as we all know gas stations usually charge a lot if money for just about everything including oil. I've seen prices of $7 a qt for conventional oils at some stations.
Well, this Sunoco Ultra full synthetic is Dexos 1 approved, ACEA A1/A5, API SN, ILSAC GF-5 and a couple of others has well. Has a VI of 165, HTHS of 3.0, TBN > 8, CCS of 5000 @ -30°F, and a NOACK of 11. All of which seems rather solid. I'm guessing it's primarily a group 3 hydocracked synthetic oil. I haven't seen the msds yet. I will say that it was very clean and almost clear like Pennzoil Platinum when I checked the level after adding it to my car. I could hardly see it on the dipstick.

So for $5 a quart not on sale it seems to be a solid deal especially given its at a gas station. I am giving it a run to see how well it does. May well be a very good product.

Are there any other non big name products that anyone else has run that performed very well? I looked at a oil made by Amalie. They make oil for Carquest. It has some good approvals has well. I'm not against Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, Havoline etc... I like them plus a number of others. Just surprised to find a product that was reasonably priced with good certifications that wasn't a major brand. Any others out there that anyone has tried that is pretty good? Thanks in advance for any insights
smile.gif

Did it look like this???

sunoco-ultra-full-synthetic-5w-20-12-1-qrt-case-3.jpg

or like this? Both Good oils.

sunoco-ultra-dexos1-full-synthetic-5w-30-12-1-qrt-case-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes sir. That is correct. The above is 5w20 in that picture. I did get the 5w30. I forgot that picture is of the 5w20
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yes sir. That is correct. The above is 5w20 in that picture. I did get the 5w30. I forgot that picture is of the 5w20
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

You can get it at $42.39 for 12 qts at PSC or 55 gallon drum for
$523.60. If you don't need the dexos1 approval its about $4 cheaper.

Yeah I saw this on the PSC site... My lady gets irritated with me having 8 or 9 qts hanging around our apartment.. I can imagine how much she would love a 55 gallon drum
smile.gif

Yeah it's a pretty good deal at just over $39 for 12 qts. But shipping is $17. So cost wise it is about $5 a qt. What I paid for the other day. The 5w30 viscosity is Dexos approved too. It's on the front and back of the bottle. Don't know why they have two separate varities.

^^^^Doesn't everybody have a 55 gal drum in their living room? Or is it just me?
02.gif

Its probably quality oil. Use without hesitation. I'll stick with Pennzoil as long as they keep giving out free oil though.

The secret is this
Buy tons of it in drums and you actually get 2000 pounds shipped anywhere in the 48 states for $95...................
That was an email they sent out a few weeks back......
Actually in MD I can get 24 qts sent for $17

Your apartment will love you with all of this oil
smile.gif

Thanks cookieman. Yeah it is running pretty good so far.. Seriously it was just as clear as Pennzoil Platinum. I was surprised.

Yeah right.. My apartment would like it... But the lady will have me sleep in the car.. With no keys, no heat etc.

Originally Posted By: car51
How do people get free PU and PP? I sent gena flesh beck a PM and never heard back
I don't know their selection methods. Random? Keep trying. Its 2 free oil changes (oil anyway, not filter) and 2 free Blackstones. Play the lottery dude.

No bad questions. I am not like that at all. Cookieman stepped up which was cool. Hope you're good Captain
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back