Summer vs winter

I normally use 20w50 in the summer " actually year round before knowing better " and wanted to try something different this winter as temps won't go higher than 20 celsius unlike summer days which will go above 40 celsius easily, can i use 15w40 or 10w40 or the car will eat the oil up like the cookie monster? People in my country " Egypt " advice against it they say " if you switch to a lighter grade the car will be damaged as the tolerance is used to the thick grades and any lighter grades won't give enough protection plus it will burn oil at much higher rate even if its not an oil burner " so is that statement true or just a myth? Can i change 1 grade lower in winter as ambient temperature is much lower

An Egyptian winter is still relatively warm. You can run your 20W50 all year in your climate.

That said, it’s not so blazing hot in your winter that if you wanted to use, say, a 10W40, you would be fine with that, too.

Attachments

• IMG_20201110_153209.jpg
    IMG_20201110_153209.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 86
An Egyptian winter is still relatively warm. You can run your 20W50 all year in your climate.

That said, it’s not so blazing hot in your winter that if you wanted to use, say, a 10W40, you would be fine with that, too.
In winter days especially these winters ee never get above 20++ its always 26 25 or 20 and at night it goes as low as 9 celsius but statement that tolerance is used to thicker grade of oil and would burn oil on a lower grade is correct?

Tolerances are the amount of variation of the prescribed clearances.

Don't worry about predictions, just top off with something else in case you think you see unusual consumption with your winter choice.

You should have no problem going to one grade lower for your winter... Some engines will use oil just because it's a different blend instead of the grade... What I mean is that a 10w 40 or 15w 40 grade shouldn't cause any issues or consumption and it may even be better for your engine... on the other hand, it might use a bit of oil... there's no guarantee with any oil other than what you already know... I would think that the 15w 40 would be a popular grade there... diesel engine oils are tough to beat... otherwise, I'd think a synthetic would work best in 10w 40 and 20w 50... depending on availability, oil change interval, the type of service, etc...
Let us know how it goes...

Thank you. Looks like you can use 10w-40 year round. If it's the cheapest, It's what i would use year round. No need for a 50 grade, even in 40C.

I used 20W50 in a 302 Chevy in Michigan in the winter. Sometimes even with a DieHard battery I needed a jump (the -20F mornings ) but the motor held up fine.

You already asked the same question before.

You already asked the same question before.
Nope, that was my old engine which is dead and gone and i have been using 20w50 only and i am afraid that i might have done my old engine wrong with that viscosity that maybe i need to do better since i have found about this forum and lighter viscosity benefits, so i wanna keep the new engine up and running good and well for as much as i can as thw replacement cost is abit high for me
I used 20W50 in a 302 Chevy in Michigan in the winter. Sometimes even with a DieHard battery I needed a jump (the -20F mornings ) but the motor held up fine.
We have never experienced a minus degree in Egypt dont know what's that like 😅
You should have no problem going to one grade lower for your winter... Some engines will use oil just because it's a different blend instead of the grade... What I mean is that a 10w 40 or 15w 40 grade shouldn't cause any issues or consumption and it may even be better for your engine... on the other hand, it might use a bit of oil... there's no guarantee with any oil other than what you already know... I would think that the 15w 40 would be a popular grade there... diesel engine oils are tough to beat... otherwise, I'd think a synthetic would work best in 10w 40 and 20w 50... depending on availability, oil change interval, the type of service, etc...
Let us know how it goes...
I am not brave enough to use diesel oil in my car if its not duel rated i wont use it but there are good imported oil options in 15w40 or 10w40 semi-synthetic and fully synthetic
Thank you. Looks like you can use 10w-40 year round. If it's the cheapest, It's what i would use year round. No need for a 50 grade, even in 40C.
I am thinking about that risk to get better fuel economy as i knew 20w50 has the worst fuel effeciency

In winter days especially these winters ee never get above 20++ its always 26 25 or 20 and at night it goes as low as 9 celsius but statement that tolerance is used to thicker grade of oil and would burn oil on a lower grade is correct?

No it's not correct. Engines don't get used to a specific engine oil weight.

I did however know a guy who had taught his horses not to eat... Unfortunately they died just after they succeeded in this...

Now use an oil viscosity calculator and calculate the thickness of your 20w50 at 20 degrees (cold in summer) and 120 degrees (hot in summer), then do 10w40 10 degrees (cold in winter) and 110 degrees (hot in winter).

Back