Summary of the USS Fitzgerald collision in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 69GTX
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Isn't the commanding officer supposed to order their crew (officer and enlisted)..... "All heads on a swivel" when out at sea ????

Why wasn't the crew not doing their very basic job functions ????

A container ship could not be 'seen' by an American Navy destroyer with advanced equipment to navigate busy shipping lanes and not detect a very large distant, slow moving container ship ?????

Sad that sailors died due to negligence and crew letting their guard down. Jail time is needed for the people responsible for this accident.

The Operational Tempo of the Fitzgerald seemed extreme. A lot of the key watch standers on this first midnight watch were operating on 0-2 hrs of sleep. Even the Captain was exhausted. The whole crew reported to the ship early that morning to commence training at 6 am. The collision occurred late that night at 1:30 am. Despite all the equipment issues of not being able to track all the ships around them, the OOD did have a fairly decent visual picture of the situation 15-30 min before the collision....expecting no one to close inside 1500 yds. Things went south when one of the close by merchant ships came out from behind a closer one, changing that picture to hundreds of yards. It was at that point that the OOD knew they were in serious trouble. And, it didn't help any that the top side lookouts were all on the opposite side of the ship where there were no close by contacts.

There were so many holes in this cheese you couldn't possibly summarize it in one paragraph.

By the time I separated 2-4 hours a sleep in a cycle and the cycle was commonly nearly 40 hours one trip to South America I remember not sleeping for 120 something hours while underway. There really is no excuse to keep anyone up like this unless engaged in battle. The Navy did this regularly. Not to mention the 1MC with the Boatswain's whistle paging a Chief Party Officer or Officer every 5 minutes or the ship's bells on the hour. It made sleeping impossible.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Isn't the commanding officer supposed to order their crew (officer and enlisted)..... "All heads on a swivel" when out at sea ????

A container ship could not be 'seen' by an American Navy destroyer with advanced equipment to navigate busy shipping lanes and not detect a very large distant, slow moving container ship ?????

Sad that sailors died due to negligence and crew letting their guard down. Jail time is needed for the people responsible for this accident.

The Operational Tempo of the Fitzgerald seemed extreme. A lot of the key watch standers on this first midnight watch were operating on 0-2 hrs of sleep. Even the Captain was exhausted. The whole crew reported to the ship early that morning to commence training at 6 am. The collision occurred late that night at 1:30 am. Despite all the equipment issues of not being able to track all the ships around them, the OOD did have a fairly decent visual picture of the situation 15-30 min before the collision....expecting no one to close inside 1500 yds. Things went south when one of the close by merchant ships came out from behind a closer one, changing that picture to hundreds of yards. It was at that point that the OOD knew they were in serious trouble. And, it didn't help any that the top side lookouts were all on the opposite side of the ship where there were no close by contacts.

There were so many holes in this cheese you couldn't possibly summarize it in one paragraph.

By the time I separated 2-4 hours a sleep in a cycle and the cycle was commonly nearly 40 hours one trip to South America I remember not sleeping for 120 something hours while underway. There really is no excuse to keep anyone up like this unless engaged in battle. The Navy did this regularly. Not to mention the 1MC with the Boatswain's whistle paging a Chief Party Officer or Officer every 5 minutes or the ship's bells on the hour. It made sleeping impossible.

Life on board a military ship is hectic and noisy. One of the first things you learn to understand is that sleep is a luxury. Between eight hours of watches plus the normal work you were assigned and then add in drills, flight ops, boarding parties, etc you learn that even one hour of sleep is precious. If you are on the mid watch it's even worse. (12-4). Sleeping with 30 or more others in tight quarters is a challenge to say the least.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by dave1251

Life on board a military ship is hectic and noisy. One of the first things you learn to understand is that sleep is a luxury. Between eight hours of watches plus the normal work you were assigned and then add in drills, flight ops, boarding parties, etc you learn that even one hour of sleep is precious. If you are on the mid watch it's even worse. (12-4). Sleeping with 30 or more others in tight quarters is a challenge to say the least.

The Boxer we had 124 Sailors in Berthing and on the Fitzgerald it was close to 90. Before a modification there was an additional overflow Berthing on the Fitz the false bulkhead separated it from the head and this was out T.V. lounge with two steel chairs and a 24 inch TV tied down to a shelf. My Dad came on a visit and thought that was a joke.

Deployed/underway back in the 80's on a Spruance class in Engineering, you were doing quite well to get 4 hours sleep a day. I have no doubt whatsoever things have gotten worse for a variety of reasons.

Originally Posted by billt460
Wasn't there a nuclear submarine some years back that ran head on into an underwater cliff? If I remember correctly, it didn't sink. But the whole front end was all smashed in. It made it back into port. I'm not sure if anyone was killed, or how many were injured. I think the Captain was demoted as a result.

USS San Fransisco (SSN-711)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back