Suitable replacement name for ULTRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned that Ultra is extinct. Not quite. Early this week I found out that a second Walmart in the area had been restocked with Ultra, and another Walmart expects to be restocked this Tuesday.

Zako2 mentioned that, unlike for "Mobil 1" and "Mobil 1 Extended Performance," it's confusing knowing which Pennzoil product is better by just looking at the names: "Pennzoil Platinum" or "Pennzoil Ultra." So I suggested ULTRA should have originally been named something like Platinum Plus, Platinum Extra, or even Platinum Pizzaz.

What name would you have come up with for ULTRA to distinguish it from Platinum?

Here are some of my favorites, which I guess could be possible candidates for ULTRA's replacement if ULTRA is phased out for a new product:

Platinum Plus
Platinum Pizzaz

Platinum Pajamas
(Here's the Ad campaign:
"Your car will run so smoothly, you'll fall asleep: Platinum Pajamas." )
Okay that's a little hokey, but here are my favorite hokey names for ULTRA:

Platinum Path to Glory

Platinum Phantasy

Platinum Pujols (you'd have to be a Cardinals fan to appreciate this one)

Platinum Passion (would be a big seller with the ladies)

Platinum Extra

Platinum Power

Double Platinum

Got any names that ULTRA should have been called?

When they first introduced Ultra, they were touting "less deposits and darkening (my words) of piston skirts". Now that hardly grabs the attention of anyone buying oil IMHO. Does a deposit on the piston skirt ever have any affect on your engine?
Whoever was in charge of their advertising did a very poor job of really explaining the benefits of the oil.

Super Duper Stupendous Absolutely Tremendous Wonderful Maximum Full Benefit No drawbacks Redline inducing Extreme potential synthetic motor oil.

Pennzoil Closeout

Saves time for Walmart

Otherwise go with something that sounds green, like

Pennzoil Eco-tastic

Pennzoil Eco-gasmic

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Platinum Ultra

or

Ultra Platinum

I like either of those for a serious reply.

I really don't think that the name of the product is why it doesn't sell. It's simply the price, IMO. When you have platinum and Ultra side by side most will go with the cheaper option.

You might be right but at only a 2 dollar difference at Walmart for a 5-quart jug, that amounts to only a 40-cent premium per quart for Ultra.

But yep, Platinum Ultra is a really good name.

Would be a hard decision choosing between Platinum Ultra and Platinum Plus.

Someone said Shell might name a possible replacement Pennzoil Diamond, but I sitll couldn't easily figure out which would be the better oil just by looking at the names: Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Diamond. They ought to go with Platinum Ultra or Platinum Plus.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
You might be right but at only a 2 dollar difference at Walmart for a 5-quart jug, that amounts to only a 40-cent premium per quart for Ultra.

But yep, Platinum Ultra is a really good name.

Would be a hard decision choosing between Platinum Ultra and Platinum Plus.

Someone said Shell might name a possible replacement Pennzoil Diamond, but I sitll couldn't easily figure out which would be the better oil just by looking at the names: Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Diamond. They ought to go with Platinum Ultra or Platinum Plus.

You'd be surprised how cheap some people can be.I also remember a post not too long ago where someone's theory was the color of the bottles/jugs being darker was the reason it wasn't selling (not joking)

On the name, I agree on either Ultra Platinum or Platinum Plus.

There's nothing wrong with 'Ultra,' its their top of the line and that name is clearly conveyed. Pennzoil (yellow bottle) is the original, and THAT TOO is clearly conveyed.

Platinum is the one that's a stupid name... where does "Platinum" fall on any scale of relative merit? Sure, it conveys a value greater than ordinary... but its not Ultra. Its like asking if 'blue' is better than 'orange.' And if they had a product called 'Diamond,' where would 'Platinum' fall relative to that? Ultra would still beat both, but is platinum better than diamond when you're standing in the aisle of a store?

Products within the same product LINE need either directly technical names that convey SOME aspect of the product relative to otheres (M1 Extended Performance, Royal Purple API, Mobil 1 High Mileage) or else arbitrary names with a CLEAR progression (Rotella T, Rotella T5, Rotella, T6). That's where so many product marketers screw up IMO. Arbitrary names with a clear progression are actually pretty difficult to come up with and remain unambiguous.

Cute names are great for development codewords- I loved Ford's 'Scorpion' and 'Coyote,' Chrysler's 'Corsair.' But in daily use they're the 6.7 Powerstroke, the 5.0, and the 4.7- names that mean something in comparison to other products in the same lineup.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what they call it, they just need a sexier bottle with a wide mouth. They aren't gonna take business away from M1 and Castrol unless their bottle is pretty.

Castrol and Mobil both recognized that their top tier products need superior-looking packaging in order to attract more customers. SOPUS is making a mistake with Platinum and Ultra, and they're taking a step backwards with new QSUD packaging.

There is plenty of room for 2-tiered synthetics, Mobil and Castrol both make it work.

Great point Dantheman1980.

Richport29, speaking of elite names, how about this one:

Platinum Plutocrat

but really

Platinum Potentate or Platinum Pumpernickel would be better than Plutocrat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Doesn't matter what they call it, they just need a sexier bottle with a wide mouth. They aren't gonna take business away from M1 and Castrol unless their bottle is pretty.

Castrol and Mobil both recognized that their top tier products need superior-looking packaging in order to attract more customers. SOPUS is making a mistake with Platinum and Ultra, and they're taking a step backwards with new QSUD packaging.

There is plenty of room for 2-tiered synthetics, Mobil and Castrol both make it work.

You can't be serious..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back