Suggestions for network and cable tester

While I have a Klein that tests the basics of a network cable I am looking for a tester that can tell me if a cable can run reliably at 1Gbps. And POE testing.

This is for the church camp where I support a large outdoor WIFI network.

I am farther away and less time to mess around figuring things out when onsite.

Yes I know they are $2K.

Thinking of Fluke LIQ-100.

NetAlly LRAT-2000-KIT LinkRunner AT 2000 Network Tester. Used one on EBay for $1299.

My previous boss, a network enthusiast, really liked it. I used it a few times but not enough to develop a strong opinion of it.
Just enough to say it did enough troubleshooting in a closed area to earn its place there. He liked it would help diagnose PoE, and he loved it would tell him what port on the Cisco switch he was plugged into.

Personally I had looked into a "Tesifier" back when 1GbE copper was first becoming popular. I learned the NICs were getting sophisticated power sensing and levelling built into them and they probably had better diagnostic and compensation engines in them than I would get from anything below a multi-thousand dollar piece of equipment, and I'd be better off trying to maybe buy a better quality NIC and tap into the diagnostics it had.

Fast-forward several years (so, 2016) and I'm trying to find out why 10GbE copper is having problems making a run through a data center including patch panels. I do the research and the HPE server NIC has a lot of performance parameters available. For the life of me I cannot get an HPE support engineer to give me a tool to access them, though I explain to him all this is in the NIC. (I did not find any Red Hat package that would help access the info, but I expected HPE servers to have a tool already.)

I go over to the switch itself. It has power levels, BERT, dropped bits history, everything a good network analyzer would have. Plus, the network support engineers know this. And, it has a web-based GUI to see it.

So, I'd recommend the Linkrunner as kind of the max you want in a standalone device, and buying a sophisticated switch above that, because at least the one I worked with has very good signal diagnostics built into it already.

Last edited:
NetAlly LRAT-2000-KIT LinkRunner AT 2000 Network Tester. Used one on EBay for $1299.

My previous boss, a network enthusiast, really liked it. I used it a few times but not enough to develop a strong opinion of it.
Just enough to say it did enough troubleshooting in a closed area to earn its place there. He liked it would help diagnose PoE, and he loved it would tell him what port on the Cisco switch he was plugged into.

Personally I had looked into a "Tesifier" back when 1GbE copper was first becoming popular. I learned the NICs were getting sophisticated power sensing and levelling built into them and they probably had better diagnostic and compensation engines in them than I would get from anything below a multi-thousand dollar piece of equipment, and I'd be better off trying to maybe buy a better quality NIC and tap into the diagnostics it had.

Fast-forward several years (so, 2016) and I'm trying to find out why 10GbE copper is having problems making a run through a data center including patch panels. I do the research and the HPE server NIC has a lot of performance parameters available. For the life of me I cannot get an HPE support engineer to give me a tool to access them, though I explain to him all this is in the NIC. (I did not find any Red Hat package that would help access the info, but I expected HPE servers to have a tool already.)

I go over to the switch itself. It has power levels, BERT, dropped bits history, everything a good network analyzer would have. Plus, the network support engineers know this. And, it has a web-based GUI to see it.

So, I'd recommend the Linkrunner as kind of the max you want in a standalone device, and buying a sophisticated switch above that, because at least the one I worked with has very good signal diagnostics built into it already.
My hardware budget is $1200/year so Ubiquity switches are all I can afford. I am figuring the network tester is on me.

$1299 on eBay is a lot. No warranty. Maybe an old model unable to be repaired. And risky.

The Fluke one I can get refurbished for $1600 with warranty from a normal company selling test equipment.

Back