suggestions for a high mileage commuter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMO for 50 miles will do little. MMO for a full 5,000 miles will do somewhat better.

But, I'd skip the MMO entirely. Have had very mixed results with Auto-Rx ... I'd throw a full can of BG109 (EPR) in there 500 miles before a change. Run the snot out of it like you are. If it can be cleaned, a few of those treatments will get you what is possible.

Are you doing two changes a year? One spring, one fall? That's what I'd do and just top off in between
smile.gif

Like you said "the electric motor starts the engine and spins it very very quickly" I'd use a 10/40 hm oil to see if that lowers the oil consumption. If it does, great. If not I'd just use which ever oil gives you the lowest consumption and call it a day. If you use 1 or more qt's per 2k miles I'd go 15k to 20k miles on the oil(with a UOA to back up the miles). Who wants to change his oil every few weeks, not me.
Low tension rings can lose what little tension they have by running hot, running up that mountain pass at redline can certainly add a lot of heat to those rings. Not much you can do about that. Just think of all the gas money you have saved over what you would have spent for a car with a big ol V8.

ROD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back