Suggestions for 2018 TT RS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful car OP, by buddy is about to take delivery of a nardo grey ttrs.

Maybe you should stick with Audi branded oil from the dealership? BMW recommends 0w30 for my M3 as well and I just stick with the BMW branded oil since there arent many readily available 0w30 oils meeting spec.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
If that was my car I would do UOA at 3K first to see TBN retention. That is based on my UOA using VW504.00/507.00
If youw ere in California, I would say you could do 5-7.5K, but TX, do 3K first.

Roger, will do. Gonna sample the stock factory fill shortly (at 4500 miles or so) and do the oil change. We'll see how it goes!

Thank you again, everyone!

Originally Posted By: gatorfast

Maybe you should stick with Audi branded oil from the dealership? BMW recommends 0w30 for my M3 as well and I just stick with the BMW branded oil since there arent many readily available 0w30 oils meeting spec.

They only have the 5W-30 (Castrol Edge Pro i think, LL03) and charge $18 a quart or something silly like that. I don't mind spending money if I'm doing the right thing for longevity, but that's just silly. Once they get the 0W-30 they now recommend for my vehicle I'll figure out what it is and go from there. Sounds like the Pennzoil I picked up should be good enough for now - I got enough to last a bit...

V5y8L8WdR1PcqfQfj-dZ6572OIyZ4SzjdgQnACBEPjOcboLwc9wFPNmW2AnQ8PhHfp21gqv8urv0WraB47GTaIkatKH7Mi12teNwA5fbPKn9AmNTSIaA4QpMwAj5gLSCtgka8QC5sA=w970-h1293-no

You actually using FE in your M3?

Yep thats what BMW recommends believe it or not. Although the manual is broad and states 0w30 is preferred with 5w30 as an alternate, it also says any LL-01 of LL-01 FE oil is fine.

By the way, where did you order that 0W30?

Went to a Shell distribution facility near me, and bought it directly from them. It cost around $7 a quart, tax included.

Originally Posted By: ormandj
By the way, where did you order that 0W30?

Went to a Shell distribution facility near me, and bought it directly from them. It cost around $7 a quart, tax included.

The benefits of living in oil country
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Anyone find any specs on this oil?

quick google search:

https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.net/epcblobstorage/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_Canada_Pennzoil_Platinum_Euro_LX_SAE_0W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil_%28SN_C2_C3_OEMs%29_%28en-CA%29_TDS.pdf

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Manual says 502 or 504. Low-SAPS might be ok for daily driving but it's a brave move to use it for track days.

That is not correct according to the Audi provided printout linked earlier or the online 2018 PDF regarding maintenance; the requirement is 504/507, no 502. Are you looking at an older mk2 TT RS datasheet?

See: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audi...ce_9-7-2017.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
If it were my car I'd be sticking with a 5W or 0W-40 502-approved oil.

If you don't have a DPF, skip the 504/507

This car requires 504/507 according to Audi. I don't intend to void warranty at this point.

Yep thats what BMW recommends believe it or not. Although the manual is broad and states 0w30 is preferred with 5w30 as an alternate, it also says any LL-01 of LL-01 FE oil is fine.

I know they recommend 0W30 FE. Reason for that is that 99% of M3 buyers are spoild roch kids that like to nail it down immediately. I was asking why would you do it when you know better? In Europe LL-04 is strictly recommend or LL-01 in European countries like Russia where sfur levels are higher. I would just ise Castrol 0W40 or BMW TPT M 0W40 which has NOACK of 8.5%.

Does it say strictly VW504.00/507.00 or 502.00 too? Is this one of those VW things where manual says VW504.00/507.00 and on oil cap it says VW 502.00? Take into consideration that manual could be copy/paste from EU. If it is VW504.00/507.00 strictly, I would personally use Mobil1 5W30 ESP. You in TX do not have any benefit from 0W, but you could benefit from unprecedentedly low NOACK of M1 5W30 ESP and HTHS that is on par with W40 oils.

I know they recommend 0W30 FE. Reason for that is that 99% of M3 buyers are spoild roch kids that like to nail it down immediately. I was asking why would you do it when you know better? In Europe LL-04 is strictly recommend or LL-01 in European countries like Russia where sfur levels are higher. I would just ise Castrol 0W40 or BMW TPT M 0W40 which has NOACK of 8.5%.

Is there that much of a difference between 0w30 and 0w40? My M3 is my daily driver and sees 90% highway miles. I don't think I am lacking any protection by running the recommended 0w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back