Suggestion for a CV Joint Grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
The German cars that I own, drive, and work on require a moly CV grease. Swepco and Redline make fine CV greases. But looking at the Chevron web site the list a Delo Heavy Duty Moly grease in either 3 or 5 percent. Can anyone suggest a reason why this grease would not be useable with my CV's? I'm looking for a premium product that would be cost effective in the event I begin a service program for local folks who would not do this job on their own. Thanks in advance, Bill.

FWIW - I would worry less about the quality of the moly grease (all are good) and more about the quality of the rubber boots.

You sure??? MB joints use a heavy oil (though perhaps it is a 00 grease?). Maybe new ones are greased, but mine are filled with oil as OE.

Roger that guys. A popular air cooled VW site, thesamba, has had folks pulling their hair out searching for a quality boot.
As far as inside the boot, yes, it is a grease. I've worked for VW/Porsch/Audi network for 15 years, (1973-1988), and the component in the CV joint is a grease that has a moly content.
Bill

Originally Posted By: VWguy
Hey all,
The German cars that I own, drive, and work on require a moly CV grease. Swepco and Redline make fine CV greases. But looking at the Chevron web site the list a Delo Heavy Duty Moly grease in either 3 or 5 percent. Can anyone suggest a reason why this grease would not be useable with my CV's? I'm looking for a premium product that would be cost effective in the event I begin a service program for local folks who would not do this job on their own. Thanks in advance, Bill.

Valvoline Durablend and Synpower greases contain enough MoS2 and the package recommends them for CV joints. Plus it isn't too hard to find or too expensive.

Try Rockford Dura Boots. I use them on everything, they are tough as it gets and last a lifetime.
They probably dont have the app listed but if you have one for measurements a phone call will usually get the right ones.

http://www.rockfordcv.com/rcvboot.htm

Schaeffers #238 ULTRA SUPREME has 5% moly so it should be perfect for CV joints as 5% moly seems to be the magic number.
I paid $6 a tube for it last time so it may be well worth looking into, i am going to try it next job as i have a source for it now in small quantities not just by the case.

I was using Redline CV2 and had no problems with it but it is pricey at over $14 a tube or small tub.
I was looking at the Valvoline and noticed it is for wheel bearings also, none of the others i mentions are because of their high moly content, which leads me to believe there is less then 5%.
It may be okay but i suspect it is not the optimal product for this job.

Yeah, I know it's been awhile, but just got off the phone with the Chevron Tech's and was told that "Chevron does not carry a moly grease suitable for the CV joints in my older german cars." I'm really surprised as they carry a Moly grease EP as well as the two Delo Moly greases (3% and 5%). I know I have easily available options here, Swepco, Redline, Valvoline Synpower, and probably a few others. I think I will contact a Schaeffers rep and see what they say. Thanks all, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back