Redline CV grease for tripod Joints?

Just a question:

Is Redline CV grease: https://www.redlineoil.com/cv-2-grease good (Useable / Recomended) for tripod driveshaft joints?
Some people say it works wonders, some people say its to thick, Tripod joints should only be serviced with NLGI 1 grease.

Any opinions or expirience from use?

Thanks.

Attachments

• tripodjoint.jpg
    tripodjoint.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
The CV-2 is too thick for tripods. The only grease other than the $48 for a small tube GKN stuff that is any good and last in these is the Schaeffers 219 NLGI #1 the one with a red cap, the #2 has a yellow and is too thick.
Molakule put me on to this some time ago and I spoke with Schaeffers about it and they said it is perfect for this application. So far it is holding up great in some high stress joints. The CV-2 is good for the outer joints.

Thank you!
So.. It´s NLGI 1, the GKN or Shaeffer 219 red cap. The later one is not avialable here...
Will see.. i have to think about what to do.
I followed advice and used the Red Line CV2 in the Tripods of my Honda S2000. Now i have to flip the coin: Doing the job again and replace it with the proper grease or wait and see what happens. But, it seems that the redline works very good in the Honda S2000 tripods nevertheless.

The tripods in the Honda S2000 are famous for premature wear. The reason is most likely the Honda spcific grease, because these tripods work well in other cars. And the parts are only supplied to Honda, not build in house.

So, wait and see.... O.K.
The reports in the forum are good, it seems that the Redline grease does a good job. :unsure:

Problem is that used parts for the S2000 are very scarce here and allways extra expensive. :) In my opinion its better to do the best maintanance you can do to prevent wear for this particular car.

It may well work fine. I think this car and a few other suffer more from mechanical damage than lube failure.
The more I think about it your roads are much better than most so the joints don't see as much movement as they would in other places and your ambient air temps are not really extreme so I don't think it is critical to replace it.

When you consider inner joints alone are about € 399,00 the best I can tell something from this company may be worth looking into when the time comes.

Thank you Paul. Thanks for the link. I will save it. The cars are meanhwille 20 Years old, it´s time to think about future spare parts avilabilty.
Yes, some wear is done by exesive lowering and drag racing... But nevertheless, the problem in this case seems to be the honda specific grease.
I will wait and see. :)

Back