Suggest a scan tool, TPMS.

My current scan tool cost $80 it does not read TPMS is there one that can see what the actual TPMS error is? I guess it can only be a dead battery but maybe a good scan tool can show the battery level and which tire it is in as older cars do not show this info.

Considering what the dealer wants to do it i could buy a very fancy scan tool as i have more than one older car with the TPMS light on. It's just annoying.

Not 100% on this but I think most TPMS tools are dedicated to that only. Haven't seen an OBDII tool that also does TPMS but maybe there are.

A stand alone TPMS tool is around $150 now, and a full function tool that also does TPMS is around $600 - from what I am finding. I would like one also but there a bit more than I wish to spend yet.

I recommend something like the Autel TS-508. It will read/activate all sensors, it will read the body control module for error codes, and it will write all sensor serial numbers to the body control module. The only issue with the Autel TS-508 is that it will only program the universal Autel 1-sensors or the CGSulit TS-01 sensors. This is only an issue if you buy sensors that aren't already programmed. Most sensors that you buy on-line will be programmed to your specific year/make/model of vehicle so it's not really an issue.

I got the TS-508 for $130 and it included 12 sensors with it. There are deals out there but you have to look. I had a company simply give me a CGSulit TPMS80 and 16 sensors just to use and give them my opinion. The CGSulit TPMS80 is more expensive but it also has a basic OBD-II code reader built in so maybe it's worth the price (around $270).

An added bonus is that you can buy the Autel 1-sensors from any major autoparts store for around $28. So for a very small investment you can relearn your vehicle's wheel position to the body control module, you can change your tpms sensors and update the cars computer once you've change the sensors, you can scan for errors which will be set if your pressure falls below a preset level (when the outside temperature drops, for example), and you can even change the preset pressure in the BCM which is set up to match the pillar sticker on the car. If you put a higher load tire on the vehicle which runs a higher pressure then you can change the tire type/pressure selection if the vehicle supports this data change.

tpms tools.JPG
tools 2.JPG
tpms sensors.JPG
TPMS sensor order.JPG

^ Research what it takes for your vehicle to relearn TPMS sensors. If you buy sensors preprogrammed for the vehicle instead of universal, some vehicles relearn on their own, others, let air out to wake the sensor up or an activation tool (while the vehicle is in relearn mode), others might need a TPMS tool to access the body computer.

If you don't need the TPMS tool, then it's the mounting/balancing fee, sensor cost (can get them way cheaper in aftermarket than at a stealership), and if any programming fee applies.

If you can wait till your next set of tires, adding the new TPMS sensors at that point could cost closer to $150 total in addition to the tires/installation package, if a special TPMS tool isn't needed.

I had to replace (1) bad sensor a few months ago and called multiple shops (Discount Tire, Tire Discounters, etc) and all of them quoted me $60/each. That covered the sensors, installation, and programming.

adding the new TPMS sensors at that point could cost closer to $150 total
See above ^^. My experience was the price didn't change whether you bought them standalone or with a set of tires. Some places might make a deal with tire purchases if you ask though.

I might have a great recommendation.

Amazon sells the Autel AP200 for around $50
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AP200-Bluetooth-Professional-Automotive/dp/B07QD4GZW4

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 10.48.10 PM.png

With this device, you can only register one brand (ex: if you register Honda, it'll only work with Honda).

I think it's also tied to your phone so if you ever switch devices, you might have to pay to add a device.

Other than that, everything is included in the $50 purchase price and there are no monthly fees.

It can read TPMS codes and it can supposedly also program TPMS as well.

To check what it can do, visit the autel vehicle coverage guide and enter your vehicle's info.
https://www.autel.com/vehicle-coverage/coverage2

Make sure to select "MaxiAP200" from the dropdown menu. There are a few models with very similar names that are not the same.
Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 10.43.08 PM.png

As an example, here are the TPMS functions it can do for the HRV:
Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 10.45.57 PM.png

I might have a great recommendation.

Amazon sells the Autel AP200 for around $50
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AP200-Bluetooth-Professional-Automotive/dp/B07QD4GZW4

View attachment 128276

With this device, you can only register one brand (ex: if you register Honda, it'll only work with Honda).

I think it's also tied to your phone so if you ever switch devices, you might have to pay to add a device.

Other than that, everything is included in the $50 purchase price and there are no monthly fees.

It can read TPMS codes and it can supposedly also program TPMS as well.

To check what it can do, visit the autel vehicle coverage guide and enter your vehicle's info.
https://www.autel.com/vehicle-coverage/coverage2

Make sure to select "MaxiAP200" from the dropdown menu. There are a few models with very similar names that are not the same.
View attachment 128269

As an example, here are the TPMS functions it can do for the HRV:
View attachment 128275
It also let's you read additional makes for $22. Kinda crap though since it only lasts a year.

That autel tpms tool is cool though. I ended up having to use it to figure out which sensor went bad in my brother's car. I don't know why the display doesn't just tell you which one it is.:rolleyes:

Didn't use it for programming since there was a cheaper Ford oem programmer for 1/4 the price. So I guess if it's a Ford type the one I used is an option.

Last edited:
It also let's you read additional makes for $22. Kinda crap though since it only lasts a year.

That autel tpms tool is cool though. I ended up having to use it to figure out which sensor went bad in my brother's car. I don't know why the display doesn't just tell you which one it is.:rolleyes:

Didn't use it for programming since there was a cheaper Ford oem programmer for 1/4 the price. So I guess if it's a Ford type the one I used is an option.

From what I understand, the "free" registration is forever but tied to the original phone or tablet you use to register.

Maybe if you add another make, you have to pay per year. Instead of paying yearly fees, just buy a second Autel MP200 for another $50.

Maybe if you add another make, you have to pay per year. Instead of paying yearly fees, just buy a second Autel MP200 for another $50.
That's exactly it. I'd be OK with it if the $22 worked for an additional lifetime use with another make, but one year is crap.

I recommend something like the Autel TS-508. It will read/activate all sensors, it will read the body control module for error codes, and it will write all sensor serial numbers to the body control module.
That's the one I have...... I bought a version which didn't come with the extra sensors though. I don't remember what I paid. It has worked perfectly each time I used it.

I have to admit, I'm not too bright and had to watch a few videos to figure out how to use it. I didn't understand the instructions that came with it.

For the OP, can you please tell us what vehicles this is to be used on? It would make it much easier to know what the relearn procedures are if we know what vehicle we're dealing with.

Toyota corolla 2010, Honda CR-V 2011
Predominantly Asian makes, with OBD Relearn needed
Autel TS508 would fit the bill quite nicely 👍
Mine has worked quite well

If I had to get a TPMS tool, since I already have a ThinkDiag 2, I might as well stay in that Eco system and get this: https://a.co/d/eUVmwQZ

Else, it’s the Autel. I’m not a pro and don’t need the Atec/Bartech tool that can program blank sensors from Schrader.

Back