Sudden fuel line failure. How to repair?

Good Morning - I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with 3.3 liter V6, 170,000 miles. I started the engine and immediately smelled gasoline. I backed out and saw a huge puddle where the car had been parked. Fuel was pouring out under the car. I cut off the engine quickly and checked under the car. The fuel seems to be coming from a black plastic line about 5/16" in diameter. I plan to put the car on jackstands or ramps to get a better look. The line seems to run from the fuel tank to a connector located about under the drivers seat.

Is there some sort of quick connector or compression fitting that I can use to replace the damaged section of line? I really don't have a way to drop the tank. I could just have the car loaded on a roll back and taken to a local garage.

So what do you all think? Is this a shade tree mechanic job or just let the garage do it? I was a bit freaked about the sudden, massive fuel leak. If this happened when the exhaust and convertor was hot, I might have had a fire.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Probably more than you want to invest in,

Good Morning - I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with 3.3 liter V6, 170,000 miles. I started the engine and immediately smelled gasoline. I backed out and saw a huge puddle where the car had been parked. Fuel was pouring out under the car. I cut off the engine quickly and checked under the car. The fuel seems to be coming from a black plastic line about 5/16" in diameter. I plan to put the car on jackstands or ramps to get a better look. The line seems to run from the fuel tank to a connector located about under the drivers seat.

Is there some sort of quick connector or compression fitting that I can use to replace the damaged section of line? I really don't have a way to drop the tank. I could just have the car loaded on a roll back and taken to a local garage.

So what do you all think? Is this a shade tree mechanic job or just let the garage do it? I was a bit freaked about the sudden, massive fuel leak. If this happened when the exhaust and convertor was hot, I might have had a fire.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I think if you are asking this question, you already have the answer.

Sounds like it’s just your fuel filter. It goes from the pump up towards the driver seat-ish, probably 2.5 feet long line or so. You need to lower the tank to have room to disconnect it from the pump, and you need to know if you have a short or long wheelbase van if this is your problem because the filter is different length.

IMG_9849.jpg

in my experience if a line starts to spray, it's time to replace the whole line. deciding factors could include the material used, if the leak is from age/fatigue or a specific point of damage/impact/rubbing, material and the pressure it's holding. Liquids tend to win these battles over time.

If it is the line off the fuel filter, you can DIY at home. Place a jack under the tank, maybe use a 2x4 or x6 to give the jack a larger point of contact on the tank…unscrew the 2 or 3 bolts that hold the fuel tank straps to the floor of the van, but leave them in 2 threads or so. Lower the tank. That gives you enough room to get the filter disconnected from the outlets on the fuel pump.

DIY, and did this just break, or did an animal chew on it? If the latter, you might want to get some of that hot pepper tape.
Yes, this comment is based on personal experience.

The Caravan is fixed ! It got it up on ramps and a squirrel chewed the line. Except for one small puncture, the line looked good, so I fixed it for now with a push connector. I will have a local garage replace the line later, but for now I am back on the road. Thanks to everyone who posted. I will definitely look into the anti squirrel tape

674127B3-889A-4114-B72D-1AD05C1A625E.jpeg

Was it the nylon line from tank to the hard line to engine? If so it was the fuel filter. I’m sure that union sharkbite type repair was easier, but just replacing the filter may have been needed for maintenance anyway and would’ve solved the problem too. Glad you got it fixed either way though.

The lines must have some soy based plastic.

My European cars I’ve had would get chewed wires from the soy plastics they used. Older US cars not so much.

I should get that hot pepper tape. I could use it on my Mini.

Here, squirrels aren’t a big problem anymore. My mom next door has an orange tabby that has an assassin’s mindset and takes out many, many rodents. Including squirrels and gophers. I have no issue with that. 😎

Back