suburban issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
greetings,

2001 suburban . 192,500 miles. owned for 3 months or so and I have had a wet spot on the passenger floor from day one . Now the seal on the front window leaks during a hard rain and i thought that was it but this is like a puddle under the center of the front passenger side . Last night for the first time the low coolant light came on in the messenger center. I added a cup of coolant or so and no more issue there. I dont smell any antifreeze in the engine compartment but im not fogging up windows inside either. But the wet spot leads me to think i have a heater core leak . I replaced the control module and the blower motor on the heater and was told my drain was plugged and there was water in the motor which shorted it out .. Mechanic cleaned debris from Drain area and said all was well but still have very wet area on passenger side . As a side note i have heat at the highest setting 82 degrees.. it is super hot at 78 it feels only luke warm. Do these issues tie together and is the heater core the culprit ? Im guessing it will be a 50 dollar part and about 5 or 6 hours labor at a shop not being a dealer Im guessing a 400 dollar job at 70 per hour labor ?

If you have a puddle inside the passenger compartment and it doesn't smell like coolant it probably isn't the heater core.

Is it always wet? Can you try and isolate it to see if it only gets wet after a rain? A leaky windshield is usually the culprit, and even in a light rain can allow a lot of water to enter.

By any chance is the windshield leaking? Not sure about the Suburban design but on my Pontiac if the drain line for the A/C becomes clogged it will end up draining on the front passenger floor board. It's happened to me a few times in 6 years. Could be a possibility if you have used the Defrost since it turns the A/C compressor on.

Your mechanic fixed the clogged drain. There is a good chance that was the problem. If it was you should see no additional water coming in. And if no additional water comes in you should try to dry out the wet carpet. If it will not dry out with the ambient temperatures you are seeing you might have to pull out the seats, and then pull out the carpet and padding, and put it someplace to dry out like on a couple of saw horses on a porch that will not get wet if it rains out. And then reinstall the carpet and padding after it dries out.

If it was coolant, I think you'd be smelling it pretty strongly if it was enough to make the floor wet.

It may take days for the carpet to dry completely. I'd give it a little more time before assuming the problem is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back