Subie Oil related question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil and filter yesterday for the first time in my 2009 Subaru Forester turbo, I refilled with PP 5-30. At the same time I installed a Fumoto valve to simplify future changes. Today I started thinking that by installing the valve I have eliminated the magnetic drain plug and I am now wondering what the possible consequences could be? The drain plug did have a fine iron powder residue on it and it could take out the zero clearance turbo bearings if there was a way for it to get into the bearings. Any opinions on my thoughts? Does anyone know if the oil to the turbo bearings is filtered by the main filter or is it just the screen in the banjo bolt? Or has the screen in the banjo bolt been eliminated? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No problem. I did the same with my Subaru and my Silverado.

I've had the lowest numbers UOA for my Silverado for the time I owned it.

Filters are your best friend. If you are really concerned, stick a magnet on the filter.

Welcome!

Bill

Well I use the best filters made for the car, the ones made by toyo roki for subaru (I'll be happy to send my excel spreadsheet concerning why they're better if you PM me). I also use a magnet on those filter and a fumoto valve. My wear is extremely low every 5000 miles on Synpower, so Im sure you will do no harm without the magnetic plug if you use good oil and a good filter.

Enjoy that forester, they sure look awesome!

Dominic,

The best oil filters made for this engine? (Hmmm) Please enlighten me with the engineering data that supports this conclusion....

Thanks!

TD

Subaru switched to a magnetic engine oil drain plug after they issued a stop sale on certain 08/09 turbo's as a way to check for large bits of wear.

snipped from scoobymods.com:
Quote:

Turbo Engine Stop Sale checking Procedure
On April 7, 2008 we informed you of a stop sale order on 2008 Impreza, STi and Legacy vehicles and 2009 Forester vehicles equipped with 2.5L Turbo Engines and produced with the beginning chassis number/production dates and later as shown below:

Model Body Type Chassis Number Production Date
Forester Wagon 701045 or later 2008/01/08 or later
Legacy 2.5GT-LTD 222825 or later 2008/02/04 or later
2.5GT-B 222958 or later
OBK 2.5XT-LTD 353835 or later 2008/02/01 or later
Impreza Sedan 523363 or later 2008/01/08 or later
Wagon 825183 or later

We took this action as a “Customer First” preventive action as we had confirmed, in other markets, that there was a small possibility of an “Engine Knocking Noise” caused by a contamination in the area of the connecting rod big end journal at very low mileage/time in service.

The action was successful in preventing the potential of failures for our customers.

Subaru has defined a screening process that you must perform to all of the affected vehicles in your inventory before delivery to a customer or putting in demonstrator service.

The screening process consists of several steps to inspect the condition of the engine oil to determine if the engine is not affected by the contamination, is already damaged, or has a potential for damage. ...

I don't know if the design of the Fumoto for Subaru's has been changed in the past several years, but it used to stick up into the oil pan by about three threads. Some people file a notch in the threads to drain out more of the oil.

I've been running three blue fumoto washers on two subies for about four years now. I also recently had to get my turbo replaced under warranty due to excess oil getting past the turbo seals. Hopefully, the two are not related. I drive hard.
55.gif

I don't recall if the banjo bolt screen, or the turbo oil inlet screen, is still being used. You can probably find the answer on subaruforester.org or nasioc.com.

welcome2.gif

cheers3.gif

-Dennis

Trying to post data... but it's not working just yet. I will post something later about this.

Last edited:
The subaru oil filter has:
OEM specs and standards of quality
A nice plastic seal to keep dust out
A real O-ring, not a square cut gasket
Overall more filter media than any other in its size
The thickest can
Larger diameter entrance holes
An anti drainback valve

The downside is it doesn't really fit any oil filter sockets on the market, and it's $6. However over the life of my vehicle I will do about 50 oil changes, so I justify $300 just fine for filters.

I'm running an oversized Amsoil EAO-20 filter on my '06 Outback with the 2.5l, N/A engine. Its a PITA to remove without burning the back of your hand on that rounded piece of the exhaust, but it does allow you to add a bit more oil to the system. Of course I'm running extended OCI's, so of makes economic sense to me.

I do have one of the factory oil filters out in the garage and its a very high quality piece as well. I guess I'm just an old school engineer who can't get used to the idea of a riding mower sized oil filter on a modern car engine.

One reason why Subaru went to the small Toyo (or is it Tokyo) Roki filter is that the larger Purlolator was too close to the headers in the turbos.

Al cut one open and put pics on subaruforester.org. He was impressed.

-Dennis

I use the Purolater Pure One on my 2009 Outback 2.5i Limited. I also do my own oil. I don't like dealers screwing around with my car unless necessary. Mine does have the magnetic drain plug. i am going to start purchasing the Subaru oil filters. From what i have heard from other site's, they are darn good.

A few photos of Subaru filters;

07 Factory Subaru filter

Al's filter cut open

Pureone filter for subaru cut open

Supertech filter

I'd be VERY concerned about putting ANY brand of oil filter that is larger too close to the cats (that is the round thing you see on the headers) as heat is not going to do the filter any good. (Call up Subaru and ask them... That is the reason why they went to a shorter filter when they went to the new headers)

I'll stay with the factory size. Subaru knows what they are doing...

I run either the Supertech or Pureones since I can get those for under $3 and they protect just as well as any other filter.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back