Subaru TR580 Lineartronic CVT - Drain and Refill

I asked for a quote for CVT drain/fill service from the dealer I purchased our 2015 Subaru Outback and was told $480.00. Ouch! We have an independent Subaru mechanic close by in Sanford, NC who did the service for $200.

My son had his CVT fluid changed at 36,000 miles at the Subaru dealership and it was not much more than $200. To charge $480 is highway robbery.

Cam2 has a green CVT fluid that costs much less than the dealer. It's $6/qt from Auto Barn, or from their Amazon store.

The CAM2 is not the right fluid spec for the TR580 Lineartronic II transmission. The correct fluid spec is Subaru CVTFII. Subaru now makes four different CVT fluids, none is interchangeable with the other.

But if you are going to try another brand it must be compatible with CVTFII spec. The CAM2 only lists a very old, obsolete ECVT spec that I think goes all the way back to the Subaru Justy. ECVT is not for the Lineartronic II transmission. I would be leery of the CAM2 fluid for that reason. I would hate to see another member damage their Subaru CVT.

The CAM2 is not the right fluid spec for the TR580 Lineartronic II transmission. The correct fluid spec is Subaru CVTFII. Subaru now makes four different CVT fluids, none is interchangeable with the other.

But if you are going to try another brand it must be compatible with CVTFII spec. The CAM2 only lists a very old, obsolete ECVT spec that I think goes all the way back to the Subaru Justy. ECVT is not for the Lineartronic II transmission. I would be leery of the CAM2 fluid for that reason. I would hate to see another member damage their Subaru CVT.

An updated PDS does list Lineartronic, CVT II :)

Back