Subaru To Axe the Legacy in 2025

I wish they offered their cars in fwd as well though I know it's what their brand is about it would make the cars cheaper to buy and own long term repair and maintenance wise and more fuel efficient and that's more attractive.

From Consumers Reports road test of the 2024 Legacy:

"One of the first things you’ll notice when driving the Legacy is its superbly smooth ride. Its suspension soaks up bumps and potholes with an uncanny fluidity that’s better than some luxury sedans costing three times as much."

"Ride comfort

The Legacy’s ride is superb. It mops up just about any pavement flaw with ease, feeling as plush as a luxury car. We marveled at the Legacy’s ability to filter out bumps, control side-to-side body motions, and keep passengers virtually unaware of all but the most egregious road imperfections. The Legacy is not only the most comfortable riding midsized sedan, but it eclipses expensive luxury cars such as the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Lexus LS."

saw that in the news a few days ago... kinda bummed honestly, if I wasn't a young husband and dad, I would spring for the 2025 last model with the turbo, what a fun car. Maybe by the time my kids are grown and I have some pennies to spare again, I can grab a used one in decent shape and have a mid life crisis ;)

Not surprised. I think it will not be the only model out either. The only way they can do EV is to cut their own product line…….

Sad to see. Having grown up in VT (and still visit often), I've ridden in most Subaru models available from the early 90's to current, probably some 80's ones that I can't remember. Very rarely did they make a bad car. The choice to use AWD on nearly all cars, plus the use of a boxer engine makes them unique and likely kept costs down for the design. I'll sure miss the sedan variant, if for no other reason than I'm anti CUV/SUV and now those like me have one less option. My niece owns a 2018-ish Legacy, and it's a very solid car.

"One of the first things you’ll notice when driving the Legacy is its superbly smooth ride. Its suspension soaks up bumps and potholes with an uncanny fluidity that’s better than some luxury sedans costing three times as much."

"Ride comfort

The Legacy’s ride is superb. It mops up just about any pavement flaw with ease, feeling as plush as a luxury car. We marveled at the Legacy’s ability to filter out bumps, control side-to-side body motions, and keep passengers virtually unaware of all but the most egregious road imperfections. The Legacy is not only the most comfortable riding midsized sedan, but it eclipses expensive luxury cars such as the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Lexus LS."
According to Car & Driver, the Legacy corners .8g, whereas cars like the Accord are .9g. There is no free lunch...

Outback is already decently sized and the Ascent took their larger crossover market. Legacy sits in a weird purgatory.

I saw elsewhere that the Legacy sedan would be discontinued after the current model year.
The Impreza apparently continues for now.
Too bad that people don't see the value in a sedan as a daily driver/commuter.
I guess Subaru figures that the Outback built in the same factory on the same platform is sufficient.
The Legacy yields 30 mpg combined per EPA while the Outback gives 28 mpg combined, so not that much difference, with the Legacy giving 35 mpg highway and the Outback 32 mpg by the EPA rating.
Between the two I know which I'd buy, but since the Legacy is going away that won't be an option going forward.

According to Car & Driver, the Legacy corners .8g, whereas cars like the Accord are .9g. There is no free lunch...
because of the skinny 225 tires. 225-50-18 precisely. on the Legacy GT model 2024. but i guarantee you it will leave any Accord in the snow dust during a blizzard. and it has a very decent 5.9 inches of ground clearance for a sedan. the Accord has 235-40-19 tires. the Legacy. is a far more capable beast than an Accord in winter. and if you want better handling, easily done with wheels and tires swap.

because of the skinny 225 tires. 225-50-18 precisely. on the Legacy GT model 2024. but i guarantee you it will leave any Accord in the snow dust during a blizzard. and it has a very decent 5.9 inches of ground clearance for a sedan. the Accord has 235-40-19 tires. the Legacy. is a far more capable beast than an Accord in winter. and if you want better handling, easily done with wheels and tires swap.
It's not just tires, it's the suspension also. The Legacy is tuned for ride comfort. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. Just saying...

Personally, I like that it's slightly smaller than Camary and Accord, and has a 250 hp engine option.

Does anyone know if the 2.4T engine has port injection in addition to DI?

Last edited:
It's not just tires, it's the suspension also. The Legacy is tuned for ride comfort. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. Just saying...

Personally, I like that it's slightly smaller than Camary and Accord, and has a 250 hp engine option.
it is heavier than both and has 260hp and 277 lbs ft of torque. the Canadian version Legacy GT 2024 weighs 3780 pounds. characteristics that are very desirable in winter. the Accord is also tuned for ride comfort. previous Accords were much sportier and faster. current Accord is an appliance. like the Legacy. but the Legacy is far more capable.

"Ride comfort

The MOST under rated vehicle in the market!
It got killed by the Out-Back, but it's an outstanding sedan.

"Ride comfort

Consumer Reports also said that the Toyota Camry has dynamic suspension to attract drivers who like sports sedans (something along those lines). I stopped reading the article at that point.

Back