Subaru tire need

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Subaru Forester needs a tire. I know you have to replace all 4 with the exact same tire on each wheel. Is this true, as I get even from the dealer that you can change 2 at a time? What would you suggest re. brand etc. size is 215 65 16. Thanks

Do you need to replaces 4 tires due to wear, or a damaged tire?

If the former, yes they need to match. There are a ton of options in 215/65/16. Check reviews and tests on Tire Rack for starters.

If the later, a viable question is how worn are the other 3? Subaru, like most AWD/4WD systems, require the tires to be within 1/4" circumference (about 2/32 tread) and the same load rating, tread, etc. If you need a single tire due to damage, and the rest are more than 50% worn, I'd replace with a new set and try and sell the old tires. If the other 3 are good, then have a new matching tire shaved down to match.

Sources:
http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-faq-...-only-need-one/
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-p...u-techtips.html
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

If all the tires, including a new tire have a tread dept of 2/32 difference or less, then you only need to replace the one tire. Subaru wants all the tires to have a maximum circumference difference of 1/4 inch? which is about 2/32 inch tread depth difference. Like Hollow said. Ed

Yes they have differentials and if you force them to continuously function with mismatched diameter tires you will wear it out prematurely! Plus I suspect mismatched diameter tires give Subarus electronic contols problems.

Of the three remaining tires, find the worst one.

Buy two tires, replacing the worst one and the damaged one.

Keep the worst one, either get a rim from the JY, or just as an emergency spare...

Tires only need to be mounted in matched pairs...

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

Keep the worst one, either get a rim from the JY, or just as an emergency spare...

Tell it to your center differential.

Krzys

Unless you have an AWD system like in the OP's Subaru.

Do not do this!

Subaru published the following statement, in their Dec 2010 Tech Tips Newsletter.

"The Techline continues to receive calls from Technicians who have performed all types of unsuccessful repairs to transmissions with a “binding on turns” concern from the Customer. One of the first questions we will ask is whether or not the tire circumferences have been measured. All too often the answer is no. It is extremely important when diagnosing a transfer clutch-related concern, the tires must be one of the first variables you rule out. Remember, all 4 tires should be within approximately ¼" of each other in circumference when measured at the center of the tread. Otherwise, binding issues can result (or re-occur) due to the ratio imbalance caused by mis-matched tires. A quick keyword search on STIS of “Binding on Turns” will return a list of other bulletins and TIPS articles on this subject"

yet subie continues with their anemic doughnut sized spare, and let alone you should never use it in the front. that's right your stranded on the side of the road with a flat in the front. hey no problem just jack the car up take off rear tire transfer to front and put doughnut back on rear all set.

That would be incorrect.
to the tune of 1500$ or so.

Yes I'd have paid extra for a full size spare.

I have carried one of the winter tires on trips before. its about 3/4" smaller but alot better than donut spare until I could get a tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: subaroo
yet subie continues with their anemic doughnut sized spare, and let alone you should never use it in the front. that's right your stranded on the side of the road with a flat in the front. hey no problem just jack the car up take off rear tire transfer to front and put doughnut back on rear all set.

I would probably do that on my FWD car too. However, I would not change a tire on the side of the road and I carry a full sized spare in addition to the Donut spare.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I would probably do that on my FWD car too. However, I would not change a tire on the side of the road and I carry a full sized spare in addition to the Donut spare.

Has anyone started a class action lawsuit against Suburu? A differential that can't compensate for more than 1/4" in circumference is a design flaw.

But the doughnut is only supposed to be used up to 50 miles, to get to the nearest repair shop. Maybe it's OK to have the tires mismatched for such a short time, but not OK to have a permanent mismatch?

Quote:

Remove the temporary spare tire and reinstall
the conventional tire as soon as possible because
the spare tire is designed only for temporary use.

When using the doughnut spare on an automatic Subaru, you need to insert a fuse to tell the differential to ignore the input sensors for the AWD.

I don't believe any manufacturer suggests using a doughnut spare on a front axle.

IIRC, Audi, Mercedes and Porsche are also similar regarding tire requirements on their AWD systems.

Originally Posted By: redbone3

Has anyone started a class action lawsuit against Suburu? A differential that can't compensate for more than 1/4" in circumference is a design flaw.

But it is written in plain sight in the manual. One does not like it one does not buy it. Why pay lawyers?

Krzys

Most AWD vehicles need to have the same size tire - not just Subaru.

Still confused about the donut spare in my paretns' Focuscape. It says you need to use tires that are the same size, but includes an undersized donut spare ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back