Subaru Parts Lookup Help (3 Part #s Same Part)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Background (for posterity):

Note: I'm in no hurry to complete this work and know that I can pickup a nut from the local hardware store for cheap; however, they're only a dollar from the dealer, so why not. I don't buy a ton of OE parts, so this thread is more for my own education (and maybe to help others) than anything.

I'm replacing both rear end links on our '14 FXT, since the boots on the old ones will need to be destroyed during removal, since the hex key immediately stripped, and a set of vice grips will be needed to keep the ball joint side of the upper link stationary for nut removal. I need to remove the end links to upgrade the rear sway bar - nothing crazy, just the 20mm bar from the Crosstrek (stock is 16mm)

I purchased part number 20470, the "Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Kit (Rear)" from an online parts source, which apparently doesn't include the nut for the hex key stud (attached to the link itself) I spoke with the parts guy on the phone and he said that Subaru considers it to be a kit, because it comes with the bushing on the bottom, and that the kit does not, in fact, come with the nut.

The bottom fastener came loose quite easily and smoothly, so I'm going to reuse it.

Question (see parts graphic (exploded diagram) below:

When I asked the same parts guy why there were three part numbers associated with the nut, item 1, he kindly explained that each nut has a range of vehicle build dates associated with it. I asked if the latest part number was the best and superseded the other two and he said no, that I should purchase the one associated with my build date.

Spoke with a dealer local to me (since the nuts are cheap) and what he pulled up for my VIN was the first nut, N370055. Hmmm

Does that sound right to you guys?

Part # (build date range in format YY/MM)
N370055 (XXX - 1311): Suspension Stabilizer Bar Nut
N380016 (1311 - 1608): Suspension Sway Bar Link Nut. Nut Flange M10.
N380019 (1608 - XXX): Flange Nut

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Trav
As they list one as an M10 it is possible the other 2 are different thread size or pitch. I would buy by the serial number.

I thought the same thing, but also brought up to the two guys that there's only one END LINK part number listed. It would make sense for the nut to NEED to change if a new new end link came out with different threads on the upper stud, but that's not the case here. His reply was that it could be something as insignificant as they changed the vendor for the nut and it might be the same.

Again, I'm sure the first nut is perfectly fine - I'm just curious about superseding part numbers and why it's typically done. There are likely new part numbers to literally make new parts to address failure modes that have been reported in earlier part numbers, right? I'm pretty sure that was the case with a fan motor I replaced in my previous '08 Civic. IIRC, the online guys said to make sure to get the latest part number.

Which version of the part number 20470 did you buy?

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2...r-Link-Kit-Rear/49230404/20470AJ010.html

AJ010 version replaces 20470SC000 version.

The picture from Subaru doesn't show a nut either.

Same thing with this ebay listing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OE...zer-Sway-Bar-Link-Assembly-/233439429494

If you bought an aftermarket one, say from Moog, it comes with the nut.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3443517&cc=3298416&jsn=367&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq%2BEvUNdS3Txyey60IDtnjPWF5UU9J0BWQv7pvqZbkEUk86%2BAYIh3BPX4eQfsOjh%2BwUP1TtJTV%2FwwxDDBfjsnh9aoLckVA%2BQcPAJtKV8KWsNwFpG%2FaAPtaXbz6Z6mDTRa8HIx8dUyFp6ptGuaAkl53rXF02DtoUgXIiJoCl7PkbHOYCJMl40K9A97%2FzvjsAIG7TQnY9Vwv2aubJ%2BTLMbf4RtF2ylBtiZxZPIwJmmBO5zH9eQWCH2HL4Riqu9bAQZN8LCIdRkhw0CHTwkohv6aE%2BbkMUtBFYnxI6QtvnVv0mQ6%2Fb%2BqOXFiiGNjEkiM22p9w8wySwEA6Sicz4Wu3be

Interesting, neither Subaru Genuine Parts nor Subar Parts Warehouse, both of which I've used in the past, offered a superseded part number for the link itself.

The only nut the local dealer had was the one I mentioned, so I went with it.

I installed the RSB Saturday and took it for a spin today with no rattling or other issues. I had passengers, but was able to get a bit froggy to test out the upgrade and am pleased with the results. Being a taller vehicle I think I'll find this to be more noticeable than in my Legacy (same exact 16mm --> 20mm RSB upgrade)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back