Subaru FB25 Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my FB25 burned a quart of oil between 15k and 20k miles. I added a quart of GC 0w-30 then. That's what I had in the garage. My stash dwindles.

I just hit 22,500 miles and changed the engine oil and manual transaxle/rear diff fluids. I sent in samples of the engine oil and MT fluid for analysis. Over 7,500 miles, the oil was:

Original fill:
5 qt. PP 0w-20
0.5 qt. GC 0w-30

Makeup oil @ 5k mi:
1 qt. GC 0w-30

Standby for UOA!

I refilled with 4 qt. NAPA 0w-20 and 2 qt. Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 20w-50. The VR1 quarts were $1 and I imagine reasonably close to the NAPA/Synpower formula, so I figured, why the heck not? They were in my stash, this car burned a bit of oil, and VR1 is blue. That's all the reason I need. The car calls for 5.5 qt. and 6 brings it right to the full mark.

The brew calculates to:

cSt@100 11.37
cSt@40 66.58

Yes, it's a heavier blend. But, it's summertime and I want to use the VR1. I'm not so worried about warranty issues, as I have a receipt for a whole case of the NAPA stuff. I will update this thread on any catastrophic loss of MPG, engine failure, or zombie apocalypse caused by my use of other than 0w-20.

I wasnt happy with the napa oil it was the only oil to come out ""watery and black"" at 5000 from the GF's accent that is very easy on oil.. she has the previous gen.. that's not DI.

I think I'd take PYB or any brand name syn over it.

Last edited:
I'll send in a sample of this brew too. 7,500 miles will put me into December, but it will depend on how long I can hold off my OCD.

Interesting brew!

I've been running Napa full synth 0w20 in my 2014 FB20, although I have topped up with their 5w20.

I don't use it because I'm smitten with this oil, I do it because it's easiest for me to get and it's on sale often. Yeah, it's always black and watery at drain time, but that's meaningless without knowing it's UOA.

Last edited:
I'll call it 10w-30. The oil burning is a strange thing in these Subarus. I didn't see anything noticeable during my usual 60 mph commutes, but during some road trips that were 75-80 mph it showed up. We'll see what this heavier blend does.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Well, my FB25 burned a quart of oil between 15k and 20k miles. I added a quart of GC 0w-30 then. That's what I had in the garage. My stash dwindles.

I just hit 22,500 miles and changed the engine oil and manual transaxle/rear diff fluids. I sent in samples of the engine oil and MT fluid for analysis. Over 7,500 miles, the oil was:

Original fill:
5 qt. PP 0w-20
0.5 qt. GC 0w-30

Makeup oil @ 5k mi:
1 qt. GC 0w-30

Standby for UOA!

I refilled with 4 qt. NAPA 0w-20 and 2 qt. Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 20w-50. The VR1 quarts were $1 and I imagine reasonably close to the NAPA/Synpower formula, so I figured, why the heck not? They were in my stash, this car burned a bit of oil, and VR1 is blue. That's all the reason I need. The car calls for 5.5 qt. and 6 brings it right to the full mark.

The brew calculates to:

cSt@100 11.37
cSt@40 66.58

Yes, it's a heavier blend. But, it's summertime and I want to use the VR1. I'm not so worried about warranty issues, as I have a receipt for a whole case of the NAPA stuff. I will update this thread on any catastrophic loss of MPG, engine failure, or zombie apocalypse caused by my use of other than 0w-20.

A little off topic, since I know the main point of your post is the oil brew. But I curious about the amount of oil your FB25 takes. Do you have an oversized oil filter? Or an oil cooler? My FB25 calls for 5.1 quarts, but a 5 quart jug always tops it off, to just slightly over the fill mark on the dip stick. I can't imagine where another quart would go. And I've never heard of the FB25 calling for 5.5 quarts. Please elaborate.

The owner's manual (see page 12-6) for my Forester calls for 5.5 quarts. That puts it in the middle of the range. 6 puts it right at full, using the Wix filter in my signature. It's a bit larger than the OEM filter, but is specified for the Forester and BRZ.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The owner's manual (see page 12-6) for my Forester calls for 5.5 quarts. That puts it in the middle of the range. 6 puts it right at full, using the Wix filter in my signature. It's a bit larger than the OEM filter, but is specified for the Forester and BRZ.

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wonder what the difference is between the FB25 in my Outback, and the FB25 in your Forester. Just a larger oil pan? And if yes, why? Hmmm.

It's long been known in the cult that it's difficult to get accurate and consistent oil level readings using the dipstick.
Put the recommended amount in when changing the oil and all should be well.
For consumption, check the oil five minutes after shutdown, as Subaru recommends.
That's about the best you can do.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It's long been known in the cult that it's difficult to get accurate and consistent oil level readings using the dipstick.
Put the recommended amount in when changing the oil and all should be well.
For consumption, check the oil five minutes after shutdown, as Subaru recommends.
That's about the best you can do.

That's a true statement! Even slightly off level, the dipstick will show either more or less than it really is. I always check when parked in my garage.

The problem is that one day the level is on full mark, the other day is about one inch above full and you keep snifing the stick trying to find gas smell on it. Scooby dipstic is a dickstic man! It goes out the sump almost in horizontal position. You gt better readings at half level, between full and low marks. there is more consistency at that readings ...

Hopefully this is normal consumption. Your car isn't affected by the oil control ring TSB, is it?

-Dennis

I just check mine after it has sit over night. I wipe the dipstick one time, then a fast in and out. It seems to give a more consistent reading for my FB25 than any other way I have tested.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Hopefully this is normal consumption. Your car isn't affected by the oil control ring TSB, is it?

-Dennis

I haven't read the TSB, although I believe my Forester is included. I'm nowhere near the amount of oil burning required for the warranty work. I think they require greater than 1 qt in 1000 mi or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back