Subaru Blue Can C&P

3100 OCI 2017 Outback 59k 0w20 Castrol Edge
IMG_2787.jpeg
IMG_2784.jpeg
IMG_2785.jpeg
IMG_2788.jpeg

All of these Japanese cars seem to take some iteration of the Fram PH7317. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru... etc. What I have done to simplify my inventory is to stock only one of these filters. I have chosen to go with the Nissan 15208-9E01A which cost me $6,75 each from my local dealer. It fits most of the vehicles I service and is high quality OEM product.

You should cut the media away from the end caps, squeeze out the oil and then spread the pleats apart to check for paint, sealant, carbon, etc. That's a nice C&P.

All of these Japanese cars seem to take some iteration of the Fram PH7317. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru... etc. What I have done to simplify my inventory is to stock only one of these filters. I have chosen to go with the Nissan 15208-9E01A which cost me $6,75 each from my local dealer. It fits most of the vehicles I service and is high quality OEM product.

You should cut the media away from the end caps, squeeze out the oil and then spread the pleats apart to check for paint, sealant, carbon, etc. That's a nice C&P.

Are you suggesting that Fram created an aftermarket filter, without any market for it to fill, and then Honda, Nissan, Toyota Subaru, etc., used that filter boss size when building their engines? :unsure:

Are you suggesting that Fram created an aftermarket filter, without any market for it to fill, and then Honda, Nissan, Toyota Subaru, etc., used that filter boss size when building their engines? :unsure:
Umm, I don't think so. Did my comment sound that way?

I wonder, if FRAM makes the Subaru blue cans just like they do for Honda's , should it fine going along with their aftermarket cross-reference line of filter? Been hearing about this debate that Subaru have higher bypass PSID settings. I'm only asking since my brother just bought a 2022 WRX last month and I have been looking around for higher efficiency alternatives.

Looks like a Fram Tough Guard to me. Anyway, looks very good. Knowing the mounting position of these, this filter sure could use a silicone ADBV.

We get noisy starts with these over the years. Engine starts getting rackety after the OE Black Subaru- Tokyo Roki comes off and the Fram goes on.
The benefit over the Fram Toughguard is a better "no leaks" P-ring (captured o-ring) base gasket.

The Honda equivalent has a silicone rubber adbv, and possibly a different (lower) bypass poppet rating.

Thankfully Subaru recently moved back to Tokyo Roki for their dealer service part inventory.

I would only run the Roki. - Ken

All of these Japanese cars seem to take some iteration of the Fram PH7317. Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru... etc.
Popular Toyota do not use this 20x1.5mm metric baseplate thread = they use UST 3/4"-16

Infact most toyota are cartridges except the big 4 banger Taco's

True that Subaru, Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazada, Kia, Nissan, Hyundai have used minor variations
of the same baseplate and form factor. -Ken

I wonder, if FRAM makes the Subaru blue cans just like they do for Honda's , should it fine going along with their aftermarket cross-reference line of filter? Been hearing about this debate that Subaru have higher bypass PSID settings. I'm only asking since my brother just bought a 2022 WRX last month and I have been looking around for higher efficiency alternatives.
The FRAM filters recommended for Subarus tend to have a 12 psi bypass, whereas the OEM filters are 23 psi. The FRAM EG and TG filters usually have fewer pleats as well, which will make bypassing even more likely. The black OEM filters made by Tokyo Roki seem to be better than the blue cans, and the ones made in Japan seem to be better than those made in Indonesia.

The only good reason to use a non-OEM filter on these cars is for better efficiency, and the only efficient filter that has the proper bypass setting seems to be the PurolatorOne. The PL14615 seems to be the best. It's rated 99% at 26 micron, 50% at 11 micron, and has a 25 psi bypass.

Popular Toyota do not use this 20x1.5mm metric baseplate thread = they use UST 3/4"-16
You are correct. The Toyota cars along with my John Deere lawn mower (Kawasaki powered) that I service use the 3/4"-16. For these machines I use the Toyota 90915-YZZF1 filter. They're dirt cheap from the dealer and they're a great quality filter.

lol, my wife says that about little stuff all the time, "oh isn't that cute"

FWIW, not exactly what I want to hear about my oil filter... :ROFLMAO:

Just my $0.02
I find it real interesting how small some of these oil filters can get. This one isn't the smallest I've seen either. 🤯

The FRAM filters recommended for Subarus tend to have a 12 psi bypass, whereas the OEM filters are 23 psi. The FRAM EG and TG filters usually have fewer pleats as well, which will make bypassing even more likely. The black OEM filters made by Tokyo Roki seem to be better than the blue cans, and the ones made in Japan seem to be better than those made in Indonesia.

The only good reason to use a non-OEM filter on these cars is for better efficiency, and the only efficient filter that has the proper bypass setting seems to be the PurolatorOne. The PL14615 seems to be the best. It's rated 99% at 26 micron, 50% at 11 micron, and has a 25 psi bypass.

Yeah the FRAM 9688 spec'd for the WRX appears to be multi-vehicle than vehicle specific. The Endurance has a 11-17 PSID rating while the Ultra/Titanium has a 9-15 PSID rating.

Speaking of Purolators, would the BOSS be an option as well? unless its just the PureOne only.

I'll probably wait until his warranty period expires and stick with the OEM black cans, even though my brother wants to do some mods on his new Subaru.

Speaking of Purolators, would the BOSS be an option as well? unless its just the PureOne only.
The BOSS has the proper bypass setting as well, but it's less efficient than the PurolatorOne. Purolator's datasheets for the BOSS show an efficiency of 99% at 46 micron, which might even be less efficient than the OEM filter.

Back