Subaru 2.5 Change Interval

I've run 0w20 and 5w30 in this engine and can't tell any difference. You say you didn't like the results running 5w30. What differences did you observe?

I've run 0w20 and 5w30 in this engine and can't tell any difference. You say you didn't like the results running 5w30. What differences did you observe?

It was mainly sluggish powertrain response, oil used was Rotella Gas Truck 5w30 which is on the heavier side. The engine just seemed to be running a hair slower and the transmission just didn't engage as quickly, both seemed to have developed a shudder in their operation. The idle was rough as well but not nearly as bad as it was when I experimented with the usage of 5w20 (Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 5w20).

I have a 2018 Subaru Forested Premium 2.5, and change the oil every April and October regardless of mileage. I use 0w20 as recommended by Subaru, and only put 3k miles on it every 6 months . Don't over think it.
I think you are overthinking it by changing it out twice a year at only 3000 miles

I think you are overthinking it by changing it out twice a year at only 3000 miles
I agree. I maintain a couple vehicles (for my wife & daughter) [both Subaru Foresters, a 2004 and a 2018] that are driven < 4000 miles per year. I change the oil annually and the UOA is quite clean. Blackstone says it could go another year.

Last edited:
I think you are overthinking it by changing it out twice a year at only 3000

The owners manual states 6mo/6k miles whichever comes first.. I probably put on 3500 miles every 6 months. The winters are harsh here as I live in the Rust Belt, which falls under Severe service, not to mention the Subaru 2.5 isn't exactly the most bullet proof engine, I'll keep changing out the oil every 6 months. Besides, I've already made the most environmentally conscious decision a person can make in life by not having children 😄

The owners manual recommend 0W20 grade motor oil for all temperatures and driving conditions in the United States and Canada. I would follow Subaru’s recommendation. Who cares what Australia recommends.

They were originally 7500 then dropped to 6k. They basically did it to reduce the amount of oil consumption claims they were getting. Their solution to top off the oil more often.

my 2017 Outback 2.5 started burning off about .3 qt every 3k miles around 50k. My OCI right now is 10k and I only had to top off about 0.5 qt at 5k miles.

Back