Sturm, Ruger to Acquire Remington's Marlin Firearms for $30 Million

It could be a great move for the Marlin line but what does Ruger have to gain? May be Ruger is betting on the ban of semi autos and them the next best thing is the lever.

Last edited:
Will Marlin go back to its former glory? Don't know, but I prefer Ruger's customer-centric business model than Remington's lack of it.

Lets hope so but admittedly they do have 2 radically different business models (despite Remington making some very questionable business decisions)

Well this is cool news..

The Remington guys got the Marlins wrong a for a good while, I'd hope the Ruger guys do a better job.

As ammo gets taxed to oblivion, and semi autos get outlawed Leverguns offer a ton of fun and value as well as some seriously hard stopping power and customization in terms of making them into take downs.

I dont enjoy my semi autos as much as my Cowboy combos, but Im an old guy. Im a plinker, vs spraying 1000's of rounds downrange.

It's a crying shame what happened with the Remington 700 trigger issues. IMO the 700 had a very good receiver right out of the box. It also made a nice platform for someone looking to build a custom rifle off of it, and not break the bank. They made some **** accurate rifles.

It's a crying shame what happened with the Remington 700 trigger issues. IMO the 700 had a very good receiver right out of the box. It also made a nice platform for someone looking to build a custom rifle off of it, and not break the bank. They made some **** accurate rifles.
Remington 700 has been the base for all of my custom rifles. Install a Jewell trigger and they are perfect. Serious shame what is happening within many of the old companies these days.

I like my Remingtons.
I like my Marlins.

Im scared of Marlin by Remington based on what they let out of the shop early - I heard the later ones were ok.

I think a Muger, or Sarlin gives it a 3rd life.

Remington 700 has been the base for all of my custom rifles. Install a Jewell trigger and they are perfect. Serious shame what is happening within many of the old companies these days.
I have a few customs built off of the 700 BDL stainless steel actions with Timney and Jewell triggers. They'll shoot as well as customs with receivers costing 3-4 times or more. The 700 is a great platform.

Bought a Marlin 336T (T for Texan model, no pistol grip) back around 1978 for $88. Beautiful lever action saddle rifle with walnut stock and all. Love the micro-grooved rifling. Will be interesting to see what Ruger does with the Marlin line.

Last edited:
As a long time Marlin fan I was mortified of what Big Green did to them. Ruger is likely to move them back the right direction, but I'd still rather they were free standing with all those long tenured Marlin craftsman building them.

I'm a sucker for lever guns they have been making a comeback too.

Have a very old Marlin 30-30 and a .22 rifle.
Come to think of it … my Remington shot guns and Ruger pistols pre date mergers …
Sold my Ruger M77 7MM … but it was a decent rifle

Marlin used to be a good middle class gun. Great for hunters, a better modern lever action than Winchester, good but not pretty wood, serviceable but not great triggers and always good enough and sometimes great accuracy. Savage really hurt them when the accutrigger came out and Savage did step up the accuracy of their barrels particularly in the 17 HMR and many center fire calibers. Remington should have concentrated on getting their 700 series rifles back to the accuracy and smoothness they used to have and relegated the decent hunting rifles to the Marlin name instead of having them compete against each other. Maybe Ruger will return Marlin to a real competitor of Savage and Winchester (lever guns) and concentrate on getting their own brand bolt guns to a higher level of fit, finish and dependable accuracy.

Ruger is likely to move them back the right direction, but I'd still rather they were free standing with all those long tenured Marlin craftsman building them.

I would love that as well but I don't think those craftsmen exist anymore nor are new ones likely to be created.

There is a Marlin 1895 .45-70 Government series rifle on sale for $695 in Morrow County in Ohio.

There is a billboard for it, on I-71, well north of Sunbury.

I hear this is a fine rifle, and I wonder why it is priced this low. Close-out?

Only rifle with a handgun caliber I ever shot was a .44 Magnum. Might as well make it a rifle caliber, if you are gonna chamber it in that.. 🇯🇵🔫🎯

Speaking of .45-70. Granted, never seen any mainstream noticeable handgun in .45-70 unless maybe that oddball by Olympic Arms. Certainly wouldn't count that as mainstream handgun. And of course Dirty Harry championed a special .44 Mag pistol..

Only rifle with a handgun caliber I ever shot was a .44 Magnum. Might as well make it a rifle caliber, if you are gonna chamber it in that.. 🇯🇵🔫🎯
And of course Dirty Harry championed a special .44 Mag pistol..
Don't discount the .44 Magnum in a rifle. Muzzle velocity is around 1800 fps with a 240 grain bullet. Out to 150 yds. it is a hammer. Around here there are very few long range shots, most are in woods or heavy brush. I have killed deer and hogs with it (Hornady 240 gr. XTP) and it dropped them in their tracks. And out of my Marlin 1894 it is very accurate.

Don't discount the .44 Magnum in a rifle. Muzzle velocity is around 1800 fps with a 240 grain bullet. Out to 150 yds. it is a hammer. Around here there are very few long range shots, most are in woods or heavy brush. I have killed deer and hogs with it (Hornady 240 gr. XTP) and it dropped them in their tracks. And out of my Marlin 1894 it is very accurate.

True enough, a .44 Magnum round is about the size of your thumb so maybe with a heavy load, higher grain as you say, I could see that. You could go .308 very easily but maybe I should not discount the handgun calibers in a rifle, as you say.

Then of course there is the Marlin Model 60 so even that ties in.. it is a .22LR developed specifically for. Everyone loves a Marlin or so it seems.

Anyone ever been dissatisfied with a Marlin? Think that will change with Ruger ownership?

There is a Marlin 1895 .45-70 Government series rifle on sale for $695 in Morrow County in Ohio.

There is a billboard for it, on I-71, well north of Sunbury.

I hear this is a fine rifle, and I wonder why it is priced this low. Close-out?

Speaking of .45-70. Granted, never seen any mainstream noticeable handgun in .45-70 unless maybe that oddball by Olympic Arms. Certainly wouldn't count that as mainstream handgun. And of course Dirty Harry championed a special .44 Mag pistol..
$700 isn't exactly chump change.

Back