Stupid Oil Speculator's are at it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they cause unstable prices and supply and demand. That's what Wall St does and how it makes its money. The market would likely keep the prices lower and steady.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Because those idiots bid it up when nothing really changed. It should have been hovering where it is now the whole time.

How did they correctly price the market? If they did it wouldn't have risen so high and dropped so much.

If they bid it up when nothing changed, then I guess you should be happy since you hate them so much.

I didn't say they correctly priced the market. Over time, the market will adjust to the correct price. What investors do is buy and sell commodities and other products everyday, which allows the price of goods and services to settle on the price at which supply and demand meet. At any one point in time, the market may not be 'priced' correctly. That's when a smart investor can make money if he/she buys or sells at the right time. However, over time, the price will always settle at the correct price. What is so difficult to understand about that?

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think they cause unstable prices and supply and demand. That's what Wall St does and how it makes its money. The market would likely keep the prices lower and steady.

I tend to agree that speculators rock the boat, then collect what spills out of people's pockets during their rocking.

As long as speculators can't make the market (control too much of the oil consumption or supply), it's fine with me as they should stabilize the price. It's the ones like Enron who disrupt the market to generate huge profits that I hate.

Originally Posted By: Texas Aggie

I didn't say they correctly priced the market. Over time, the market will adjust to the correct price. What investors do is buy and sell commodities and other products everyday, which allows the price of goods and services to settle on the price at which supply and demand meet. At any one point in time, the market may not be 'priced' correctly. That's when a smart investor can make money if he/she buys or sells at the right time. However, over time, the price will always settle at the correct price. What is so difficult to understand about that?

If they would use correct information like true supply and demand and not every little tid bit of information or as a hedge against inflation to make make money then it would be close to correctly priced and it would trade in a narrow range.

Maybe all these investment companies could keep their mouths shut and quit making predictions about how much oil might go up which gets people worried and pressured to buy into the upward price push.

Oil Broker Fined for Trading Abuses While Drinking

Quote:
“Perkins’ drunkenness does not excuse his market abuse,” said Alexander Justham, director of markets at the FSA. “Perkins has been banned because he is not a fit and proper person to be involved in regulated activities and his behavior posed a risk to the proper functioning of the market.”

smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I read that.

Pushed the prices right up.

Nice.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_fsa_pvm_ban

And yet his employer lost money on the buy "The trades landed PVM with a loss of $10 million last summer"

People have to remember thatsome of these 'speculators' are in fact pension/mutual funds (ie, your people who manage your retirement funds) and they're trying to make or save money. In addition the price of oil is traded in US$, so when our economy suffers from inflation (housing bubble which popped in 2007) the price of oil will go up as the value of the US$ goes down. There's not getting away with that. Oil sometimes acts like gold in that respect.

Originally Posted By: LTVibe

Oil Broker Fined for Trading Abuses While Drinking

Quote:
“Perkins’ drunkenness does not excuse his market abuse,” said Alexander Justham, director of markets at the FSA. “Perkins has been banned because he is not a fit and proper person to be involved in regulated activities and his behavior posed a risk to the proper functioning of the market.”

smirk2.gif

A classic case of ethanol consumption increasing oil prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back