Stumbled upon Origin PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently stumbled across Origin PCs. I never heard of them before, but after reading a lot on them, I think they're a brand I'd definitley like to consider when I purchase a gaming laptop this fall.

WOW the amount of customizable options are plentiful.

In an Origin PC, I have already decided upon:
15" EON15-S
Core i7-4810MQ
16GB RAM
GTX 870M

Hard drive configuration is where I'm having a tough time trying to decide. I'm coming from a 120GB Cherryville SSD with a 2TB RAID 0 comprised of two 1TB WD Blue drives.

I'm thinking a 250GB (either an Origin Approved SSD or Samsung 840 EVO) mSATA SSD for the OS and other small apps and then a 750GB 7200 RPM Mechanical hard drive.

Maybe do another mSATA as a cache SSD for the Mechanical hard drive? Even worth it? Or possibly just a 1TB hard drive with SSD cache and no OS SSD all together?

Also, are mSATA drives any slower? They're still SATA III, right?

Thanks.

Nice. I prefer custom assembled PCs from places like this (system76 and jncs are others) rather than commodity glued together machines.

That's what I'm starting to think is my best bet laptop wise. I'd build a desktop all day long, and to match that level of expertise and quality, I don't think I'd be happy with a cookie cutter build.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Nice. I prefer custom assembled PCs from places like this (system76 and jncs are others) rather than commodity glued together machines.

My next computer will either be from system76, or I will build it myself. System76 is a great company.

System 76 seems to be super expensive for what they are. I can buy a Dell laptop and throw Debian on it for much less.

With that said, I have considered buying one of these whitebox company desktops. I tried building a computer once ... very expensive project that ended up with me throwing most of it out.

WS - workstations beat white boxes IMO. Cablefree, easy access, high quaity everything, even sound DAC and PSU.

Speaking of exotics, I just threw away a SUN Ultra 2 Quad, which is a collectible, but I have no patience to sell, package and ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back