Stuck Fuel Gauge Float

What are some of the easy things to try for a stuck float in a tank? I think I have read about people using MMO, is that right? Any other suggestions on things to try?

Just trying to experiment and have some fun with this. If it doesn't free up by spring dropping the tank and replacing isn't impossible to do.

I had good luck with MMO freeing up fuel gauge floats on more than one occasion. I'd give that or Techron a try, or both one tankful after the other.

I experienced the same thing with my ML 320, the previous owner had used cheap non Top Tier gas since new, the gas gauge never went past 3/4 even when the tank was completely full. my mechanic quoted me around $2000 to remove the fuel pump assembly (includes the float), he thought the cheap gas had left deposits on the pump and float

I started using Top Tier gas at either Costco or Chevron, one day I filled up and started driving home and voila the fuel gauge popped up to full, it has worked ever since

try using an injector cleaner and always use Top Tier fuel

What's the gauge showing? It's stuck if your gauge is hung up between full and empty. If the gauge is hung up all the way past full you have an open circuit, stuck at empty is a short in the wiring.

I know it doesn't get much love around here but I use Star Tron in my 89 Sierra that has a gauge that wasn't reading correctly, it wasn't stuck but after I would fill up it would only read 3/4 them eventually read full then drop to 1/2 all of a sudden. I use a couple ounces every other fill up and it keeps it working correctly.

I was able to free a stuck float that would not drop down from full in my Caddy by intentionally stabbing at the brakes several times in succession with about 1/2 tank of fuel left.

The idea was to get the fuel sloshing around inside the tank to free the stuck float. It worked in my case.

Is the float part of the fuel pump? Many cars incorporate the fuel level sender into the fuel pump, so it could be as easy as replacing the fuel pump :unsure:

How about running the tank down as low as you dare go, then drive on some really bumpy roads to see if it corrects itself. If that don't work, you'll have to drop the tank.,,,

I dont think this will work as the float seems to be stuck down (showing empty). I like it, though.

I had a Nissan 370Z and sticky floats were a known issue, causing the gauge to not read full even when filled to near overflowing.
I only used top tier, 91 octane for the life of the vehicle. What did solve the problem, was when it occurred I gave the tank a dose of MMO. It would then be good for the next few tank fulls, after which it required another MMO treatment.
I also added a bottle of Techron every 5000 miles before an oil change. I am in California and our gas is crummy, and that may be part of the problem top tier or not.

Back