Fuel gauge/sender issue (Saab 9-3)

I have an intermittent issue with the fuel gauge on my 05 Saab 9-3. When the tank is completely full, the gauge reads empty. When the level drops to around 7/8, everything goes back to normal. I have tried using a variety of cleaners, as I have read that there is a problem with sulfation of the sender wires. I have tried Techron, Berryman's, Gumout, etc. Nothing has worked. Is there anything else I can do?

Did you use Techron complete fuel system cleaner 20oz 2 tanks in a row, check the wiring and ground? If yes there isn't much else to do but change the sending unit.
You do not have to drop the tank, you can go in from under the rear seat by carefully drilling a hole just through the sheet metal and use a nibbler to cut a hole out the make a cover for it out of sheet metal.

I use a flanging tool to make a lip so the plate sits flush, make a foam gasket then use pan head screws to secure it this makes any future replacement of the sender or pump is super easy.
It will take a couple of hours for the first one but once you have done one it takes less than an hour.

The baffle has come loose in your fuel tank which is contacting with the float.
It happened recently in my 2002 Saab 95 Aero.

Back