Strut/Shock Assembly Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
More like I need to vent here.

I have a '13 Ram truck with 27K on it. Use it to drive to work, then mostly local trips with an occasional road trip. No towing. Sometimes hauling heavy stuff for my side job or my own yard work. I change my own oil and take care of it.

I recently noticed oil stains in my driveway. Stains indicated drivers side left and upon further inspection it was coming from my strut/shock. Not having the time to do it myself I brought it to my mechanic and he agreed the problem was the strut on drivers left. He replaced the whole strut/shock assembly and also the passenger side as well with my permission. He said while in the shop a puddle of oil was continuously growing the leak was so bad. He used Monroe brand.

Anyone out there with similar issues? Just annoying a younger low mileage truck has this issue. Maybe a factory defect with the OEM? Thanks for letting me vent.

Looks like Sam Elliot's deep voice got he money rather than the strut supplier.

Hey man, it's that "extra care in engineering...Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge". Made me laugh back then....makes me laugh now.

FWIW: I steer clear of anything FCA or GM. Too many shortcuts. Too much bull fertilizer. Too much cheap glam.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Looks like Sam Elliot's deep voice got he money rather than the strut supplier.

Hey man, it's that "extra care in engineering...Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge". Made me laugh back then....makes me laugh now.

FWIW: I steer clear of anything FCA or GM. Too many shortcuts. Too much bull fertilizer. Too much cheap glam.

Ugh, well I hope its the only issue I have. And your right, its short cuts like this that result in a poor product. Its just depressing to me because its been a good truck overall. It drives nice and looks good. I just hope nothing else cheap breaks on it. So are you a Ford guy?

Yes at least I have the Monroes now and comes with a lifetime warranty my mechanic informed me when he was giving me the options.

The shocks on my 2001 Dodge fullsize were junk when I bought the truck new. It never did right right and was always bouncy. I replaced all four with NAPA "Gas Grande" heavy duty shocks and it rode like a different truck. BTW don't listen to the anti-Chrysler people on here. Dodge has given me very good service and they make a very good truck (well, all but the shocks LOL).

In all fairness to Dodge, I replaced the rear shocks with Monroe heavy duty on the back of my Silverado and it rides less bouncy in the rear so it's not just Dodge. The fronts on my Chevy are struts and they are pretty decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back