Stroked Jeep I6 4.0L (to 4.7L)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read this topic. It may save some bandwidth We can take the rest back channel since we're kinda moving away from oil and into mechanical aspects.
smile.gif

I wouldn't run anything other than a 195 thermostat. I've read over on www.jeepsunlimited.com that the computer doesn't like anything cooler and it will throw a CEL.

30lbs is all the aluminum head saves? I figured it would be more. The price is so high, because well, who else makes a aluminum head for a Jeep 6cyl? Hesco is the only one that I know of unless Edelbrock has whittled one out....seems like they have heads for everything nowadays.

quote:

Originally posted by Santo Fontana:
Those diesel oils are also fleet oils, and are ok to use in gas engines. Some say the high level of additives could hurt your cat, but I doubt you will be running one (?). I run delo 15w40 in my completely stock chevy van. They are thick, stable, keep engines clean, and have strong add packs. Best of all they are cheap. I have never heard of M1 Delvac 10w30, where can you get it?

I'm planning on running the Magnaflow hi flow cat. Do you think that'll be a problem?

1. Yes, they are installing a high flow water pump. Will this make it take much longer to heat up to temp? It should not effect warm up. It will only make the "after thermostat opens" flow more biased to the rad.

2. Which oil do you recommend - the 5w40 or the 15w40? I'll have oil bypass, haven't decided which system yet, and I'll also have a preoiler. I'll also be running an impellor driven precleaner.

I prefer the 5w-40 ..but I'm into extended drains. If you are confident in your air filtration, and given the oil filtration features that you intend to install, then drains in excess of 10-12k are surely within the synth 5w-40's capability.

This is my first exposure to the term impeller driven pre cleaner. Do you have a link or can you offer a more detailed description of its function?

3. I haven't decided yet on which oil cooler - leaning toward permacool unless you know of a better one you'd recommend. The radiator does not also have an oil cooler installed - there is one radiator that has that feature, but would make refitting the fan shroud nearly impossible.

I'd get a MOPAR heat exchanger from the dealer. They used to be offered in the Mopar catalog, but have been discontinued. They can still be had from the dealer under the listing of the 2005 Caravan with heavy duty towing package. Retail is about $95 ..trade price is $75. It ties into the heater coolant circuit and kinda works both ways. It warms and then limits oil temp. They'll both hang around 200-205 ..or near high temp visc spec. I fits okay with the PH16 size filter and is about twice the depth as a Permacool sandwich.

I guess it would really depend on how you're plumbing your other hardware as to what I would use. If you're tapping your bypass in via the Permacool and also routing your cooler from it ..then that would be the way that makes the most sense. If you're tapping the pan and whatnot for your preoiler and bypass return ..then the heat exchanger would be simpler than routing additional lines to a radiator mounted in front of the coolant rad. The heat exchanger has the advantage of shortening the effects of the cold oil reaching operating temp. In a perfect setup, you would have both ..with the air/oil heat radiator being thermostatically regulated. You would then only shunt excess heat to the radiator and get rapid oil warm up. Between the coolant rad, the exchanger, and the air/oil rad you would pretty much buffer everything for excess heat soaking from high speed/high load events ..without paying for it in slow warm up. This would be considered pretty anal and excessive by most peoples standards ..but if you want to sit there and marvel at all the stuff going on in the background while you're driving along ..it can surely provide a great deal of satisfaction
wink.gif
. Minus the preoiler and precleaner, it's what I'm doing for the fun of it.

If your heart is set on a air/oil radiator for oil cooling, I would perhaps recommend a Mocal thermostatic sandwich adapter. It's about the same price as buying both the Permacool sandwich and Permacool thermostat. One source There is also one offered by Haden which uses a bimetal spring to regulate oil temp. It basically has an open port about the same size as the Permacool unit's poppet relief. As the oil heats the bimetal spring closes over the port, forcing the oil to route through the cooler. Some guy on ebay sells them for about 1/2 the investment that you'll make in either the Permacool or Mocal ..even though he slams you for shipping. I'm unsure of how the Mocal achieves it's control. It may be a flat bimetal spring ..or some action of a helicoil bimetal spring attached to a valve.
dunno.gif

hi on my jeep i run a extruded aluminum fin cooler, 18 inch model, with an 8 fittings and blue kevlar lines, that hooks into my oil filter by pass, reason being......ROCKPROOF...............also i run one for my trans cooler...............good luck, can you post pic of rig...........any luck your on JU..........
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 97TJ:
hi on my jeep i run a extruded aluminum fin cooler, 18 inch model, with an 8 fittings and blue kevlar lines, that hooks into my oil filter by pass, reason being......ROCKPROOF...............also i run one for my trans cooler...............good luck, can you post pic of rig...........any luck your on JU..........
smile.gif

I am planning on running the Griffin 2 row radiator because it'll mate to the stock shroud. I am now planning on running a laminar heat exchanger and need to figure out a way to set up up the FF and bypass filters past that. I've got a manual tranny so I won't bother with a tranny cooler. I'm still in Iraq and don't have a picture of my rig. 2002 TJ, PSC full cage, shrockworks front and rear bumpers, sliders, and corners, MM hydro winch, 31 trxus mt.

I'm on JU - AndrewMuadDib

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back