Stripped P/S Rack Pressure Line

Hi everyone,

I stripped the threads on the high pressure in line of my power steering rack.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
I assume a helicoil type fix would work in theory, but I am not sure that it can go deep enough etc with the drill.
Pics for reference of what I stripped

1664165495568.jpg

Thanks everyone.
The rack is from an old Lancer Evo so it's fairly rare.
Replacement of it isn't really an option, so just repair really...
I am searching for a destroyed rack that I can salvage that bit off of, but failing that I somehow do need to repair that.
I assume a repair + a custom fitting might be required?

If replacement simply isn't an option I guess you could try tapping a size up with a bottoming tap. I suppose you'd want a pipe thread so you have a chance of sealing those threads.

The thing is your new adapter will need to have the appropriate bubble [or whatever] shape to seal the line, typically at the bottom of the bore. Maybe these can be purchased?

At this point I suppose you have little to lose by modifying the existing rack....but it enters "experiment" territory....

There are thread repair kits for tapered threads but there is the problem with the sealing portion as mentioned, and I’m not sure I’d even attempt it without disassembling the rack. Swarf in the rack would be bad.

Is that aluminum housing still available by chance? Or a serviceable used part?

Would it be possible to retrofit for a banjo bolt??

You'd need the HP line re-worked but I think a good hydraulic shop could do this.

Maybe a banjo just can't allow adequate flow rate though???

What kind of hole is stripped - inverted flare or banjo or?

It might be possible to mod the housing to accept an adapter/bushing that has the same form as the stripped hole.

Back