Strange thing w/ factory keys- what is it?

Was happy to have received two factory keyless fobs when I purchased my Buick, but there's some gizmo attached that I couldn't find in my manual, though admittedly I only searched through the key section.

Anyone know what this is or what it's for?

Attachments

• IMG_5307.jpeg
    IMG_5307.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 160
It's not magnetic at all, the metal part closely resembles a button cell battery, but zero voltage detected with the tongue method. I was thinking RFID transponder or something.

Am I safe to assume it has nothing to do with the car and just toss it?

This is different than the vw and Lexus dealership key finders/holders but no they aren't cheap.

lucky! the only unintentional "gift" i've ever gotten from a dealer is a Floor mat...
when i bought my C-max, that particular Ford Dealer has generic - but emblazoned with their Logo - Floor mats that they put into the cars for test Drives, etc.
(not paper, but real carpeted ones). apparently they forgot to pull it in dealer prep.
they're about an hour from me, but luckily, a hardware store in the same town is one of the stops on my uncles route (sales rep for various hardware/plumbing brands) I had him drop it off on his next trip up there.

Yup it holds the key in the key locker.
It's not magnetic at all. Looks like an RFID device of some sort if I had to guess.
Give it back to the dealer next time you are by.
Selling dealer is 3-1/2 hours away in Columbus, OH. Fat chance they're getting it back and I doubt they're missing it terribly.

Originally I thought it was perhaps a vehicle specific thing you might need at the dealer if you wanted to get new keys made (almost like the 5 digit code keytag that used to come on many older vehicles). Sounds like I'm safe to throw this thing in the trash.

Its looks an RFID "key" for a lockbox - the kind they hang on the window of a car with the key inside. They walk out with the "fob" thing you have, and place it on the box to open it, and then take out the real key.

It's not magnetic at all, the metal part closely resembles a button cell battery, but zero voltage detected with the tongue method. I was thinking RFID transponder or something.

Am I safe to assume it has nothing to do with the car and just toss it?
LOL!!! the tongue method!!

That is a beautiful key remote too!

• Haha
Reactions: b_b
Back