Strange Substance 1968 GTO NAPA Gold Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. I just did my "put away for winter" oil change on my 1968 Pontiac GTO (bone stock 400 H.O.). I was running a NAPA Gold Filter (1258) and Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30 oil. This oil and filter has been in most of the summer. The engine was rebuilt completely last spring. The oil I just dumped was the second oil change since the engine was rebuilt. I don't think I put more than 1500 miles on this summer, so two oil changes should have been plenty enough.

Anyway, I just cut the filter open and found something I think is a little strange. The filter paper contains no metal particles, which is a good sign. However, there are several very fine "hairs" on the paper media. The filter is certainly not by any means clogged with these fine "hairs", but they are certainly present enough to notice, especially at the bottom of the filter (oppopsite the anti-drainback valve).

I tried to photograph these "angel hairs" but to no avail. They just don't show up good enough to bother posting here. The paper media does not look like it is coming apart either; but these "hairs" are there nonetheless.

Any guesses on what these "hairs" may be?

Thanks!

How did you cut the filter open? They aren't thin pieces of metal or paint strips from the cut, are they?

Honestly, not sure. Made someone could chime in here to let us know.

Now that you mention it, that is almost exactly what these "hairs" look like; very small, thin strands of fiberglass.

If it is in fact fiberglass, is there a reason to worry?

As long as the hair is on the right side of the flow of oil....don't worry about it. Also, you could easily go two years with Amsoil Z Rod oil and the Napa Gold...I run Mobil 1 0w40 in my Mopar 1968 Fury III and a Napa Gold filter for 5K even if it takes longer than a year to reach that mileage.

Definitely not filings or paint from improper cutting, as I used a professional oil filter cutter which cuts beautifully.

It makes sense that these are just little strands from the oil filter media. I just wanted to be sure.

Now that I am relatively sure that all the break-in metals are gone from the engine (this was the third oil change tonight), I am going to change the oil once per year, at the end of the year before storage.

The oil/filter I put in tonight will be used all next summer. Then, I will change it again going into storage. Should be way more than enough protection for this occasionally-driven vehicle.

Thanks for all the responses. By the way, I hope everyone on the East Coast is getting through what is a very tough situation. I wish everyone the best.

Originally Posted By: propuckstopper
It makes sense that these are just little strands from the oil filter media. I just wanted to be sure.

Carefully tear into the media and see if more little strands are produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back