STP & SuperTech same as Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same in that they are not metal, but a different material and technology. STP and SuperTech are mostly made from the Champion Labs "Ecore" product line and are probably identical filters. Ecore uses a plastic center tube, fuzzy media end caps and a one piece bypass/anti-drain back valve. It appears to be a product which was engineered primarily to reduce manufacturing costs and consolidate part numbers as much as possible. Whether or not Champ also managed to produce a top quality filter at rock bottom costs is open to question.

I still would rather use the STP.
smile.gif
I bought a Fram last Thursday only because it was for the work truck (I had been given the $), and that the AA2 filters were out of stock.
frown.gif
Otherwise no Fram would have been in my hands.
blush.gif

Quote:

Same in that they are not metal, but a different material and technology. STP and SuperTech are mostly made from the Champion Labs "Ecore" product line and are probably identical filters. Ecore uses a plastic center tube, fuzzy media end caps and a one piece bypass/anti-drain back valve. It appears to be a product which was engineered primarily to reduce manufacturing costs and consolidate part numbers as much as possible. Whether or not Champ also managed to produce a top quality filter at rock bottom costs is open to question.

I would guess the STP has a thicker shell. upgrade ADBV and more media than the Supertech.

Do you have any data to support the idea that the STP version is upgraded from the SuperTech, or are you just making it up?

FWIW, just my .02. I too feel that STP is a step up from ST. If you take an ecore for both and shine a flashlight down the center tube, the filter media in the STP appears to be thicker and fuzzier than the ST media. Not a scientific approach but it does look like better media. If I remember correctly, somebody cut both apart and remarked that the media in the STP was more substantial. Just wish I could remember where I saw that. Anybody remember that?

Quote:

Do you have any data to support the idea that the STP version is upgraded from the SuperTech, or are you just making it up?

There's a mention this past week here at BITOG somewhere that the STP has considerably more media than the Supertech. The rest is a guess involving shell and ADBV. With many store brands that are copies of the original, the next step-up ADBV and slightly thicker shell are common traits to further-offset the price difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back