STP: Still "The Racer's Edge"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a kid, the only engine additive I EVER saw advertised was STP.(They ran alot of commercials on ABC's "Wide World of Sports", as I recall). It seems, however, that STP gets very little play on this site. What gives? Is it lousy stuff, or just "unhip"?

IIRC, the only thing NASCAR ever used the STP oil treatment for was to lube their oil filter gaskets.

This way, STP could honestly claim that STP oil treatment was actually used by NASCAR.

pat.gif

Why???
No VOA's of the line of products. I'd love to see a virgin oil analysis of the current STP red and blue bottled additives.

IMO, its probably a similar goop like the Valvoline stuff that is so highly regarded here because of the VOA's.

Do you remember when Johnny Cash did a commercial for STP? I can still hear him singing, "And for my car, it's STP." Maybe that's how he built that car, "one piece at a time." Hey, if it's good enough for the man in black, it's good enough for me.

There must be something good about STP for it to have survived so well to today. Recently, there have been some posts on this site about ZDDP being an important but somewhat over-looked anti-wear additive. With STP being a very cheap source of this, maybe it has more going for it than we think.....

I think the SuperTech oil treatment is the same stuff (I remember glancing over the WalMart MSDS and seeing that STP made it).
I see nothing wrong with boosting up a SM oil. I probably wouldn't use the whole bottle at once, but it couldn't hurt. Maybe summertime use in my '98 Chevy Tracker 4 door (yeah, not a manly ride, but my new job doesn't come with a vehicle. She's our "extra" car, and only has 65K). The 'Zuki motors seem to like thicker oils when it's hot anyway.

Not true TomH: I saw Andy Granitella (sp) pour about one oz. into a Nascar engine while in the pits. They made a big production out of it. I never had any confidence in any STP product after that and don't today.

If I am going to pour something thick in my engine it will be VSOT, unless I had a beater in which case STP or Walmart's stuff is a lot cheaper.

We use it during turbine maintenance.

The bearings are around 14-22" diameter, and we normally have a 2500psi oil system to lift the shafts off the bearings.

During maintenance, when the oil systems are out of service, we use STP to allow us to turn the shafts.

Works.

reading an old smokey yunick engine book and an old cosworth engines book, STP was used as assembly lube on all of their engines back in the day.

quote:

I think the SuperTech oil treatment is the same stuff (I remember glancing over the WalMart MSDS and seeing that STP made it).
I see nothing wrong with boosting up a SM oil.

The SuperTech Oil Treatment is about the same stuff.

You won't boost the additive levels very much by using STP and like products, since they are mostly OCP thickeners and very little additive.

STP and like products are for "smokers."

SX-UP and VSOT will do more to boost oil additive levels than the STP stuff.

Sometimes I think the main reason STP Oil Treatment has sold so well is pure marketing. I well remember the commercials circa 30+ years ago of Andy Granitelli trying to grip a screwdriver shaft coated with the stuff... Yep, it's pretty well impossible to hold on to, tried it myself...

Crashbox. I remember those commercials. That
was around 1967 when he was famous for his car
winning the Indy 500. Come to think of it, that
was when my beloved Maple Leafs last won the Stanley Cup.
blush.gif
banghead.gif

My father owned an auto parts store and small repair shop in a small southern town when I grew up. I remember him using the old paper blue cans of STP as an assembly lube when rebuilding engines.

I once had a Bronco with a 300 I6. I used it for mudding and playing around as a young adult. In a mud hole one day I turned way too may rpms and unknown to me at the time, I broke number 3 and number 4 piston skirts. Anyway after the incedent the engine started throwing oil out of every gasket and hole it had. I started adding STP, the old blue stuff, to thicken the oil and slow the oil flow out of the engine. It worked, but eventually I must have been using mostly STP and no oil, the engine started knocking from the bottom end. I was living in Virginia at the time, in the Army. I took leave, bought two cases of Castrol 20W50 and a case of STP and headed home to Louisiana to rebuild the engine. I made it home, using nearly all of my oil and 10 cans of STP. I acutally spent more on oil and STP that trip than gas. Gives new meaning to"filler up with oil and check the gas". I had to stop every hour or so and top up the crankcase. The trip took nearly 24 hours, but I made it home, rebuilt the engine and returned to active duty in Virginia with no futher oil use and no further use of STP.

The old STP had a lot more additives than the new stuff. I think it was a type of zinc.
When my partner was sponsored [wheelstander] by STP, they gave him cases of it.
Right or wrong, people are buying the old stock for 5 times what a new can would bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back