STP S6607 - 12, 637 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot I had this cheapo filter on the Civic for so long. IMO, it held up just fine. The nitrile rubber was a bit on the harder side but was still pliable.

I have used several of the smaller STP's with zero issues. They seem to run smaller the most filters for the same applications but other than that, they have all held up great. Most of the issues I have seen were with the larger filters. These are so small they seem to be very stout.

Why such a small filter on the Civic? Those call for the 7317, don't they? Or does STP not make that size? Looks good regardless, thanks for posting. I've used that same filter on my old Altima and would use them again if Autozone actually had good deals on oil/filter specials.
grin.gif

Hope you had Mobil EP in the oil pan.

That little filter has very little media area.

In this compact size, a premium filter with a lot of dirt holding capacity might be a better choice for extended OCI's.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Why such a small filter on the Civic? Those call for the 7317, don't they? Or does STP not make that size?

Thats what the AZ catalog specified for the Civic.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

In this compact size, a premium filter with a lot of dirt holding capacity might be a better choice for extended OCI's.

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 actually. UOA was sent off today so I'll post that as well once I get it back.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Why such a small filter on the Civic? Those call for the 7317, don't they? Or does STP not make that size?

Thats what the AZ catalog specified for the Civic.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 actually. UOA was sent off today so I'll post that as well once I get it back.

That's interesting. I know the 6607 is usually for other vehicles (like Kia and Nissan) and Honda vehicles call for the 3593A/7317 size equivalent with every other filter manufacturer. I know the 6607 is basically the same as those, just with a smaller element so perhaps it's just so they don't have to manufacture as many different sizes. The 6607, 3593A and 7317 should all be interchangeable given proper clearance. Sorry, I'm done rambling.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
you got lucky

Why was it luck? Looks like a good filter.

Originally Posted By: sw99

Thats what the AZ catalog specified for the Civic.....

Yep. Like many jobber/quick lube oil filters now, STP skips the oe 7317/14610 application size and consolidates/downsizes to the smallest size that fits, in this case it's the OP's shorty 6607/14612 size. Thus the shorter filter application.

That is why as linked below*, I chose the larger S2808 for an 01 Civic (also spec'd for the 7317/14610) that came with a ~$10 MS5k AZ oil/filter promo. The S2808 is the 14459/3593A equivalent used on most pre 01-02 Hondas, but will fit many up to 06-07 Hondas. Normally wouldn't choose the STP, but as the pics showed it held up fine for ~8k.

Unfortunately like the newer series Accords and based on a couple youtubes I looked at, it appears the slightly wider diameter filter application no longer has the room to fit. So the OP had no choice when choosing the STP here. That said, though kinda small and no media area leader, looks like it held up fine and did it's job.

One other difference I just noticed is the 6607 here uses Champ's standard blue button dome spring bypass. The S2808 uses the odd clicker type bypass. Thanks for the pics.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2812186

The non ecore Champ budget filters seem just fine. Clearly in a clean engine this one wasn't stressed at all although I'd guess it was getting close to capacity.

The 6607 fits my son's Mazda RX8 also.

The RX8 may be the application that dictates the size constraint.

The filter sits atop the rear of the engine essentially under the firewall.

It takes a cap wrench and a universal joint between two extensions to get it off.

The Purolator 14612 offers a little more size but I've got some 2014 production Bosch Distance Plus 3300's in the queue for the future.

Almost 13k miles on nitrile ADBV and a leaf spring; Oh, the Horror! ....
And yet your engine did not explode, the filter did not self-destruct, and no grotesque media loading is present.

Reminds me of my 15k miles on a FL400.

People need to quit freaking out over such trivial stuff.
Those who use FU/M1/RP/Etc filters for "normal" intervals have way more money than I apparently do.

Last edited:
I forgot I had the STP filter on when I decided to try a 6 month OCI for the PP 0w20. I thought it was one of the NAPA Gold's with the silicon ADBV. Either way, I was happy with the way the STP/Champ filter held up. I an just as curious as to how the PP faired.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Almost 13k miles on nitrile ADBV and a leaf spring; Oh, the Horror! ....
And yet your engine did not explode, the filter did not self-destruct, and no grotesque media loading is present.

Reminds me of my 15k miles on a FL400.

People need to quit freaking out over such trivial stuff.
Those who use FU/M1/RP/Etc filters for "normal" intervals have way more money than I apparently do.

This thread is a testimony to the cleanliness of the combustion process of the Honda Civic engine and the ability of PP to handle contaminants.

But if I'm going for a long OCI, I'm not going to bet the farm on a STP filter.

Imagine cutting the filter open and discovering you had a QC "clinker" on there for that interval.

They make those in every flavor from what I see here on BITOG.

But STP seems to have more than their share of duds.

The oil looks pretty clean (film on the end caps of the filter). Was the oil also ran 12,637 miles, or was this filter used for two OCIs?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The oil looks pretty clean (film on the end caps of the filter). Was the oil also ran 12,637 miles, or was this filter used for two OCIs?

Yes the PP was run for 12,637 miles and the filter was on during the entire time (Approximately 6 months).

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The non ecore Champ budget filters seem just fine. Clearly in a clean engine this one wasn't stressed at all although I'd guess it was getting close to capacity.

Clearly... You are only speculating.

Thats the better STP... now STP look more like A/C Delco Eco filters...

However that did hold up good.. What kind of Oil did you use?

also how many oil changes and what was interval?

or what it 12637 mile on 1 OCI with 1 filter the stp?

Even though the filter held up its important the ADBV stay plyable if it was hard it could cause problems.

Also if that filter is CLOGGED who knows how long it was in bypass mode or partial bypass? You know if enough oil dont go though filter then the bypass will open a lil bit.
I see it has a leaf spring all in 1 bypass.... who knows how long that was wide open.

but looks good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back