STP S4967 cut open

This filter was in use for 1 year on an Exmark Zero-Turn mower with the 708cc Chonda V-Twin, the interval was about 40 hours of use. Looks pretty decent for a $4.99 filter from Autozone. This is a from a customer's mower, who usually provides his own ExMark/Toro filters, but the last change it seemed the wrong filter was in the kit he bought, since it wouldn't thread onto the engine. It must've been for a Kohler or something (filter was unbranded with no numbers), so I used this filter instead in a pinch. An ExMark branded filter replaced this one for the upcoming season. The ADBV on this filter seemed a bit hard, but other than that it held up very well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The STP S4967 is what I am currently running on my TORO Timecutter 54HD. The NAPA Gold 1394 was leaking at the mounting flange. Some filter brands will not work on the Toro/Exmark branded Loncin engines. The filter base will make contact with with the mounting flange before the gasket gets compressed the right amount to prevent an oil leak The lesson I have learned is that, OE, FRAM and STP are the brands to use on these engines.

Originally Posted by MParr
The STP S4967 is what I am currently running on my TORO Timecutter 54HD. The NAPA Gold 1394 was leaking at the mounting flange. Some filter brands will not work on the Toro/Exmark branded Loncin engines. The filter base will make contact with with the mounting flange before the gasket gets compressed the right amount to prevent an oil leak The lesson I have learned is that, OE, FRAM and STP are the brands to use on these engines.

Absolutely correct, and thanks for mentioning that as I forgot to put that in the OP. It's one of the reasons an OEM ExMark filter went back on. I tried a Napa 1394 I had on hand when I had realized the wrong filter was in the ExMark kit the customer provided, but I could tell it didn't seat properly and went to the only place open at the time (Autozone) to grab this STP, which fit great. I might grab one or two more of these or the Fram version for the next time I work on an ExMark with this engine.
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, the STP S4967 does fit great. The FRAM 4967 filter series also fits great. There is no need to try the Carquest 85394 or the Purolator equivalents, they will never work. By the way, Kawasaki uses the same filter on some of their engines.

Last edited:
Back