STP Red bottle at Big Lots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to let u guys know I found a whole shelf of this stp 4cyl oil treatment at $2.50 a bottle I bought 6 because i can't find it anywhere else

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Cool, what's the diff btw the red and blue bottle again? One is more viscous but I can't remember which is which.

The blue bottle is thicker

The stp has a good ammount of zinc in it from what I have read in the past. I just like to add a little more to my oil. I also have some Lucas zinc break in additive I bought at Advanced auto.

I add a small ammount of the zinc to a new oil change, maybe 3 or 3 oz.

from what I have read the red bottle contains 4 times the zinc then the blue bottle maybe I am wrong, someone can correct me.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
The stp has a good ammount of zinc in it from what I have read in the past. I just like to add a little more to my oil. I also have some Lucas zinc break in additive I bought at Advanced auto.

I add a small ammount of the zinc to a new oil change, maybe 3 or 3 oz.

According to their TDS
http://www.lucasoil.com/images/medialibrary/17_EngineBreak_InAdditve_TBzinc.pdf
it has 50000ppm Zn.
Adding 3.2 oz (1/10 qt) to 5qt will increase Zn by ~1000ppm - a lot. Over 2000ppm total can cause catastrophic camshaft damage = "chunking".
Adding 16 oz to a 12 qt pan full of 1100ppm CJ4 oil will result in 3100ppm Zn; definitely dangerous and WAY too high.

Charlie

It has been a lot of years, but don't the directions say to add a full bottle to a 5 qt sump? Did they change it? I doubt it is going to destroy an engine if used as directed. It will however thicken up the oil, something I wouldn't want to do during the winter time.

Years ago many people I knew added STP for the summer, and MMO for the winter.

I think demarpaint is talking about STP which has ~2000ppm Zn/P, just maybe 2-2.5X passenger car oil these days, whereas toyotaguy was talking about Lucas Oil Additive TD Zinc which has 50000ppm Zn, or about 25 times as much as STP. Potent additives like this one, ZDDPlus or Redline Breakin need to be used with a 50ml syringe AFTER doing the arithmetic.
What you accomplish with STP + a 5W30 PCMO is basically what you can accomplish by buying a 5W40 HDEO, except for the fact that you've increased the viscosity by adding a VII instead of buying better base oil like a PAO or ester. Because the Zn/P content is so close to what's in regular motor oil and the volume is only 4oz (or is it 8oz?), the Zn/P level of the final mixture doesn't go up very much - maybe 50-100ppm.

The formula is: added volume = (vol oil pan) X (desired conc increase)/(conc additive - orig. conc oil)
More or less; a first order approximation.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
I think demarpaint is talking about STP ie

Yes that's what I was talking about, it was mentioned in the title. I should have mentioned that since the thread changed a bit, sorry.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Adding 3.2 oz (1/10 qt) to 5qt will increase Zn by ~1000ppm - a lot. Over 2000ppm total can cause catastrophic camshaft damage = "chunking".

Charlie

There is no scientific proof that over 2000ppm of Zn will cause catastrophic cam shaft damage. If this is the case then all engines running Redline Race oil would have failed since it has over 2000 ppm of Z and P from the factory. Stop spreading false rumor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

There is no scientific proof that over 2000ppm of Zn will cause catastrophic cam shaft damage. If this is the case then all engines running Redline Race oil would have failed since it has over 2000 ppm of Z and P from the factory. Stop spreading false rumor.

Read SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2986, "How Much ZDP is Enough", p.2. You'll have to pay $15 to download it since it's copy protected. More references to follow.
As in all physical processes, the probability of failure isn't a step function (i.e. it will fail at 2001ppm, no fail at 1999). Rather, the probability increases in a smooth curve, starting at ~2000ppm. 5000ppm would be a really risky thing to do IMHO.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back