STP 6 gallon box

My local Autozone sells 6 gallon boxes of STP 5w30 Conventional for $79.99, or the synthetic for $119.99. Research says Amalie makes this oil. The synthetic is Dexos rated.

I use my vehicle for work and I slam miles on my car (I.e I can put 1,000 miles/week on my car). So oil changes can be a frequent thing. I usually do 7,500 mile OCIs (sometimes higher) so I’m leaning toward using the synthetic since my wife’s GM needs a Dexos and it would be nice to stick with one oil for the “fleet.” I like the 6gal box too because space in my home is at a premium and 5qt jugs take up a lot of space ( not really able to stack or store things on top of jugs).

Not many VOAs around on this oil. How many miles would you be comfortable running this conventional or synthetic oil in something like my Mazda clone of Ford Duratec 2.5L 4cyl?

My local Autozone sells 6 gallon boxes of STP 5w30 Conventional for $79.99, or the synthetic for $119.99. Research says Amalie makes this oil. The synthetic is Dexos rated.

I use my vehicle for work and I slam miles on my car (I.e I can put 1,000 miles/week on my car). So oil changes can be a frequent thing. I usually do 7,500 mile OCIs (sometimes higher) so I’m leaning toward using the synthetic since my wife’s GM needs a Dexos and it would be nice to stick with one oil for the “fleet.” I like the 6gal box too because space in my home is at a premium and 5qt jugs take up a lot of space ( not really able to stack or store things on top of jugs).

Not many VOAs around on this oil. How many miles would you be comfortable running this conventional or synthetic oil in something like my Mazda clone of Ford Duratec 2.5L 4cyl?
10K is what I would shoot for with that sort of mileage, then a UOA to see if extending would be an option.

I've used Amalie Elixir 0w-40 Synthetic (probably same stuff they relabel for STP and others) in my Kia Sedona, there's a UOA floating around here somewhere. The oil held up well except thinning out of grade a bit (40 weight to a 30, but probably a GDI thing) and I have zero complaints with the oil.

For $20 a gallon, I'd run it without hesitation, but there are a good many other options available at that price.

Like you know Amalie makes this STP oil.

The PQIA tested both full synthetic and high mileage oils with the STP sticker on them from AZ.

Those oils looked just fine with plenty of additives like molybdenum, boron, calcium and magnesium.

You should be able to run that oil for minimum of your 7500 mile run. And 10,000 miles would be just fine too.

I have the Amalie STP full synthetic oil in the lady's 98 Camry right now.

Ran the 5w40 euro in my wife's 2017 Passat from brand new to just over 100k before it was totaled by hail never a mechanical issue

Had bought a " hoard " of the 5w40 STP I'm jugs and used the 0w20 bag in box for years on a 2.7 Tacoma

Also the Fram oils at AAP and Elixr and Wolf's Head are the same blender

I agree with the Havoline 6 quart boxes instead. In either case, it sounds like you put on a lot of highway miles between OCI, so I would think you could easily do 10K. To be sure, run 7500 miles and send in a sample. If it comes in okay, with TBN still looking good and fuel dilution low, then stretch it out a bit.

Question for you guys who use "boxed package oil". What do you do with the waste oil.......is it possible to put it back in the box that the new oil came from?

Question for you guys who use "boxed package oil". What do you do with the waste oil.......is it possible to put it back in the box that the new oil came from?

Yes, if it is a single use box like Havoline. They have a video on how to do it. For the six gallon box some other arrangements will have to be made.

$119/24 = Almost $5/qt.

Even with the 20% off coupons, it's still $4/qt. Not really a great deal when you can buy Havoline Lifelong at a lower cost from WM. Plus dispensing is an issue unless you have a transfer container.

It is expensive, too much in quantity, and you don't know who blends STP oil. There are better choices. Stick with five- or six-quart oils sold in Walmart if you want the cheapest. @The Critic is a mechanic, and he is right.

My main reason is I have a commercial account at AZ I will continue to use for most of my vehicles until my hoard of 5w40 euro is gone for the 0w20 my son ordered (2)bag in box of Lucas full syn from a oil distributor who sponsored a motocross even we attended and was giving out discount vouchers otherwise it would be more STP/Amalie

Back