storing old fridge unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a Whirlpool ED22DW that's around 25 years old in the garage. I can't justify the 250 watts to run it to cool a few drinks.

Does anyone know if the refrigerant lines have any rubber gaskets that could dry out and leak if we later decide to start using it again? I read that some older fridges have them and that anything over a couple months unplugged could cause them to leak...

When we had the residence in the city and one at the farm, the farm fridges (two to three of them) were only used seasonally. They were shut down from late fall to early spring. I still have one of them in my garage that's over fifty years old and still works perfectly. The only gaskets or seals that are shot are the door seals.
wink.gif

It will be fine, but make sure the doors are open or else mold will grow inside and it will stink big time.

Between energy rebates and the electric bill reduction, you could probably justify the cost of a new one in less than a year. A refrigerator that is 25 years old is not very efficient. The operating cost difference will blow your mind if you have not compared already.

So the system is sealed without any gaskets that could possibly go bad without the refrigerant circulating? I was thinking about plugging it in a few times a year for 5 to 10 minutes if there are any.

Just comparing this one to the one that's 13 years newer in the house, it uses around 130 watts more than the newer one. The last time I looked up the brand new ones, some advertised that they only draw around 60 watts, comparing it to an incandescent bulb.

It's really bad in the summertime too... the garage gets in the upper 80's easily and stays there for a good while after it cools down at night. 250-260 watts almost constantly at around 10 cents per kilowatt hour is at least 50 cents a day.

I've stored a few of them for years, never a problem. Just be sure it's unplugged, and the door/doors are open and child safe. It will be just fine when it comes time to use it again.

It took less than a day for everything to dry out completely in there. Wonder if I could get away with closing them if I spray some lysol in there right beforehand..? It's a high traffic side of the garage and even leaving them cracked open cuts down on much needed room.

Take the doors off and put them in the rafters. Then you'll have shelves for oil or whatever!

I have had the same old 1980's fridge in my garage here in Michigan for probably 15 years. Only run it once a year when butchering deer. I leave the doors closed and no problems, just make sure its good and dry before closing it up and maybe check it once in a while and wipe the inside down.

I have old chest deep freezers that I use johnson temp controlers on to maintain them between 65 to 75 degrees..I put a killawatt meter on the biggest one and it used 72 cents a month...I unplug them in the winter...I store mre's, auto batteries any thing that does not like dust and 115 degree heat...I'm amazed at how little they run to keep stable..The controllers I got off ebay for $25 each, brand new...We used these at work and they cost a bunch back then.....I kept auto new batteries there and when I need one for my cars/trucks I use the one stores for a couple years and buy a new one to store...I am amzazed at how long they will last ...I have 4 trucks one car Only the honda CRV uses a smaller battery...I have 5 gens sets that use exciter cranking and the car batteries spin them nicely...I have one Napa battery I stored 4 years and now it has been in honda 4 years..I love to have things ready when needed....I live out in the country ,it's handy.....Keeps me out of Bars.....Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back