Storage - with shipping strapping ?

I just received this pair of tires and have a couple of questions about their storage for a few months:

1. See the shipping straps that are very tightly holding the two tires together... is it going to cause problems if I leave them attached like this or should the strapping be cut now so as to not deform a portion of the tires ?

2. I know that it's best not to expose the rubber to ozone. I have a refrigerator running about 20 feet away in the garage. Does that appliance motor produce enough ozone to be of concern ? Would you put the tires inside a black garabage bag if I should elect to store them over a few months and would that provide protection from ozone (if that is going to be a concern) ?

Attachments

• P7240141.JPG
    P7240141.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 25
I almost didn't respond because of all the "experts" on your other thread concerning "STORAGE"!

I personally would remove the straps and find some form of covering. If you can't or do not want to invest in tire cover then use a tarp or GARBAGE YARD bag. All tires age and most never check the date code in the tire when they buy them new to see how old the tire actually is. All my tires with the exception of a couple on race cars that are not off the ground are stored in tire covers. Even the stock tire and wheels are carefully wrapped in several tarps that are stored out side.
That's is as they say all I have to recommend about this.

IMG_20210724_082650481_resize.jpg

IMG_20210724_082633205_HDR_resize.jpg

IMG_20210724_082707253_resize.jpg
IMG_20210724_082723785_resize.jpg

Do you also have parked cars in this ozone heavy garage? With tires?

I'd cut the straps. It helps the tire guys to not have the beads pinched together when it comes to seating on your rim.

Back