Stop using GPS Truckers...

I will admit 100% I wanted to be that "guy" because I was so fed up with dealing with this on a daily basis no matter how much I emailed carriers, had road signs erected, or just flat out told drivers "If it(GPS) told you go the opposite way on the highway would you?"

New drayage company but not so new because it's literally been 4 months now. Using contractors or not you guys should make it known don't use GPS for the other warehouse, follow the instructions I sent 50 times already. Driver came to my location again after not finding the other location. I get it, we are more street visible I basically just said ... in my mind and stated "I can't help you, call your dispatcher."

My 50% proficient in English friend just gave me the blank stare and left. Got in his truck after a phone conversation and headed the direction to the other location. I drive by later in the morning to see his container was dropped there. Mission accomplished.

So yes ... a little tough love was needed here. It's not my job to be your Garmin, deal with it. Mind you the 5 ignored signs alone are also one more reason we give a license to ANYONE now. Another fun fact, Google Maps has a satellite function to actually let you see where you might be headed too. It takes all of 2 mins to realize "O I can't make a left turn in tight city streets. I should go this way instead."

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell us how you really feel about 50% proficient drivers. :LOL:
100% love the ones from other company...they listened the first time and were personable. Unfortunatley their employer never took ownership of their equipment issues and basically blamed us for their own truck breaking down. As in "Well it's 90F today and we have to drive so there is going to be some issues."...excuse me?

The problem is that many CDL drivers often cant speak and read English very well.

I'm a semi mechanic and my parents are from Poland. I'm guessing when you see a Volvo semi roll in from a small trucking company, most likely he was born in Eastern Europe and cant converse well in English?

The problem is that many CDL drivers often cant speak and read English very well.

I'm a semi mechanic and my parents are from Poland. I'm guessing when you see a Volvo semi roll in from a small trucking company, most likely he was born in Eastern Europe and cant converse well in English?
Actually, 90% of the Volvo's I've seen are hispanic drivers. Very rarely do I get someone from Eastern Europe or further out. If I had to say Freightliner is my choice for the most eclectic driver pool followed by Mack.

Use a map as well as written directions. People who can't read the native language can still understand a map with the route drawn on it. You could also put "do not enter" symbols on downtown roads that they should not use.

Last edited:
Actually, 90% of the Volvo's I've seen are hispanic drivers. Very rarely do I get someone from Eastern Europe or further out. If I had to say Freightliner is my choice for the most eclectic driver pool followed by Mack.

I think the type of driver varies by region. Most truck driving today is regional because of intermodal. I rarely ever see a Hispanic semi driver where I'm at.

Use a map as well as written directions. People who can't read the native language can still understand a map with the route drawn on it. You could also put "do not enter" symbols on downtown roads that they should not use.
I've emailed that so many times. As in just print it out and give it to them, alas they never do.

Not to mention, the increase in semi accidents during winter driving conditions, a lot of these drivers have limited experience in snow and continue to barrel down the highway at posted speeds, when it is snowy and icy.

There’s a video of FedEx 18 wheeler driver in Dallas / Ft Wort area driving very fast in the snow and crashing full speed into stopped traffic on the highway.

Idiots like him get people killed.

We (unfortunately) have an egg producing facility a few miles down the road from us. Rather than knowing how to navigate and remain on a state road, trucks will make an ungodly sharp turn and come onto our road. They tear up the guys yard who lives on the corner and occasionally get stuck and completely block the road.

They drive in the middle of the road, drive too fast given the roads condition, don’t get over for oncoming cars, and have their phone in their hand while they drive by my house.

I’ve complained to the county multiple times. Nothing.

I know - or did know -the basics on how to drive these trucks although I never had a CDL - benefit of growing up in farm country, and I am sure most have no clue what there doing in general. Around here there are tandem gravel trucks running up and down a main road here driving like sports cars - weaving in an out of lanes, etc. I am surprised they haven't killed someone yet, or maybe they have.

My favorite is their sign that says stay back 200 feet not responsible for your windshield, and then they cut you off so hard wedging in to your lane you have to slam on the brakes.

We (unfortunately) have an egg producing facility a few miles down the road from us. Rather than knowing how to navigate and remain on a state road, trucks will make an ungodly sharp turn and come onto our road. They tear up the guys yard who lives on the corner and occasionally get stuck and completely block the road.

They drive in the middle of the road, drive too fast given the roads condition, don’t get over for oncoming cars, and have their phone in their hand while they drive by my house.

I’ve complained to the county multiple times. Nothing.
A few of these bad boys should help 😉

But yeah… pretty sure I was stuck behind one of these truckers the other day. 35-45mph in a 55 the entire way holding up a massive amount of traffic, then just stopped in the middle of the road after a few miles just before the road I had to turn down, then proceeded to ssssllllooooowwwwwlllllyyyyyyy creep forward on this busy state highway 🙄

A7AA5290-ACA5-48CD-B837-54D32DA2DB2F.jpeg

I think the type of driver varies by region. Most truck driving today is regional because of intermodal. I rarely ever see a Hispanic semi driver where I'm at.

Here truckers are 90% caucasian.
The other 10% are native Indian, east Indian, Russian, or something. 98% of the truckers here are good, 2% are useless.
I trust the semis on the road a lot more than suv drivers, especially if its a Toyota or Subaru.
If you want to pay bad, then you get bad drivers.
The good drivers are at the good places to work, making good money. Want to pay half the salary you should be, then expect half the driver competency.

A few of these bad boys should help 😉

But yeah… pretty sure I was stuck behind one of these truckers the other day. 35-45mph in a 55 the entire way holding up a massive amount of traffic, then just stopped in the middle of the road after a few miles just before the road I had to turn down, then proceeded to ssssllllooooowwwwwlllllyyyyyyy creep forward on this busy state highway 🙄

View attachment 142929

Those work! My dad put a smaller version of those on our lot when we lived on a corner lot and behold, no more people cutting the corner into our lawn!

Back