Stolen Tags

I had a tag stolen off my pickup at a motel in Reno. I was moving there, so I just called the issuing state to report it and then got Nevada tags. My first visit to a Pep Boys was for anti-theft license plate hardware, stainless steel screws with tamper-proof Allen heads. I can't remember if they came with nuts on the back or if I added those for good measure.

Maybe not as much with trailer tags, but I think stolen license plates often involve another crime. Fake tags on a getaway car, for example, or fake tags on a stolen car. I think a person should expect to get pulled over if their vehicle and plates don't match, especially with plate readers.

One-way screw removal tools:

I use anti-tamper hex/Torx drive fasteners for plates, etc. If they really want the plate, they'll take it.

I had a tag stolen off my pickup at a motel in Reno. I was moving there, so I just called the issuing state to report it and then got Nevada tags. My first visit to a Pep Boys was for anti-theft license plate hardware, stainless steel screws with tamper-proof Allen heads. I can't remember if they came with nuts on the back or if I added those for good measure.

Maybe not as much with trailer tags, but I think stolen license plates often involve another crime. Fake tags on a getaway car, for example, or fake tags on a stolen car. I think a person should expect to get pulled over if their vehicle and plates don't match, especially with plate readers.

I just looked up some of those. Do the nuts replace the typical plastic things the screws go into? I'm interesting in buying a set.

I just looked up some of those. Do the nuts replace the typical plastic things the screws go into? I'm interesting in buying a set.
On a pickup truck with an actual bumper, I'm guessing their bolts are going all the way through with the nuts accessible on the backside of the bumper. On most cars with bumper covers, this likely isn't possible.

Reactions: Pew
I think I threaded the screws into the existing plastic insert, and then put nuts and washers on the back. The screws in my kit are long enough for that to work. The kit also has black plastic covers that snap over the screw heads.

This was on a pickup with a metal bumper. Plastic bumpers might require something a little different, like maybe larger diameter washers on the back, if you can even reach back there.

Reactions: Pew
Back