Stock Market - 8-21-2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of today, I made a big change in my existing investments by heavily investing into the energy field. Normally I like to diversify as much as possible, but this sector has been beaten down for sometime with many of the individual stocks and mutual funds not only at 52 week lows, but multi-year lows. If the energy stocks dive even deeper, I'll invest even more. I think there is plenty of money to be made in the long-term...even if it is a few years. Any investors like to share their thoughts? Good luck to all.

I bought energy funds high, so I'm sticking with it till I retire. In other news it's my fault gas is so cheap right now.

Looks like a huge market correction, or else just paranoia over the world economy. In any case, there might be money to be made if buying low right now.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Don't worry, stay diversified for the long run.

This.

Routine contributions smooth out the ups and downs. Its great to buy on sale, when you don't need the money for decades.
If you need it sooner, then your AA should have been more conservative.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
As of today, I made a big change in my existing investments by heavily investing into the energy field. Normally I like to diversify as much as possible, but this sector has been beaten down for sometime with many of the individual stocks and mutual funds not only at 52 week lows, but multi-year lows. If the energy stocks dive even deeper, I'll invest even more. I think there is plenty of money to be made in the long-term...even if it is a few years. Any investors like to share their thoughts? Good luck to all.

If you figured this out, probably many other investors have also. The price has taken it into account. I think power companies that own generators will start seeing the costs to close coal plants and deal with all the coal ash. Then there is solar and wind power. And regional grids.

I only invest in low cost index funds.

I think it's still too early to buy energy. Wait until the end of the year, especially after Americans stop driving post Labor Day. (Sept 7) Crude will start stacking up - I think WTI will go low $30s. I don't see oil going back to $100 for the next 5 years - way too many headwinds - slow growth, cheaper & more efficient fracking, Iran coming online, cheap natural gas and fleets switching to that and leaving diesel behind, cheap batteries and hybrid/electric adoption. Also Uber is causing people to abandon cars and just press a button on their phone. Oil may be a spread play now - if it gets to $65-70 - sell, get back in when low. But...I could be wrong, it's just that this cycle feels different. I like drug stocks, reits and defense stocks.

I think oil is a good investments, those BRIC countries everyone loves will eventually start to suck it up again.

I hope stocks stay on sale for a bit, I'll have a nice chunk of extra cash this fall I plan on putting into the market. Its always better to buy on sale!

Last edited:
I'd be a little worried that I would be catching an extended "falling knife" for the near term where oil is concerned. The Saudis and Russia are pumping like mad along with a faltering China and a weak U.S. economy don't bid well for real price stabilization in my mind.

I try to have no more than 15% of my portfolio in any one sector and I doubt that it would be oil for the foreseeable future until things become more established and settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back