Stihl FS56 vs Echo SRM 210

Hey guys - I'm wondering about the differences between the FS 56 and SRM 210.. I currently have an FS 56 but was given an SRM 210 by my long time neighbors. It hasn't run in years so there is little doubt that it will need some parts to run. That said, I have taken on more yard work than I originally anticipated when I purchased the FS 56 (maintaining ground for the neighbors on both sides of me), so I'm wondering if the SRM 210 is the better unit - I'm always looking to "trade up" so to speak.

Last edited:
I think the Sthil has a larger displacement engine, and with about 1.1HP, should match the Echo in real world performance.

SRM probably just needs a carb to run. I use a 28 year old 210 for weekly weedeating, and also run a 20 year old 230 for edging duty. Both have been flawless! As long as you aren't routinely weedeating very tall vegetation, you'll love the 210 for its light weight and power. Even if you do cut tall stuff, just take your time and it'll eat it up.

I used my 15 year old SRM 225 that I use as a dedicated brushcutter.
It gets run maybe once a year, if that.
It started in three pulls.
Good power. Starts without drama.
It is a nice piece of OPE. I would view it as a definite upgrade.

I have both the industrial strength Echo 26cc and older 210 series 21cc powerheads for the Echo PAS (attachment system) so I can use the same tools on each powerhead. I like 'em both, that's for sure. But clearly the 21cc is smoother, plenty powerful and more pleasant to use.

I may give them both a back-to-back try today for a brief comparison.

Hey guys - I'm wondering about the differences between the FS 56 and SRM 210.. I currently have an FS 56 but was given an SRM 210 by my long time neighbors. It hasn't run in years so there is little doubt that it will need some parts to run. That said, I have taken on more yard work than I originally anticipated when I purchased the FS 56 (maintaining ground for the neighbors on both sides of me), so I'm wondering if the SRM 210 is the better unit - I'm always looking to "trade up" so to speak.
I love my Stihl fs38. Is the fs 56 the strait shaft 4 stroke model, semi-commercial?

I love my Stihl fs38. Is the fs 56 the strait shaft 4 stroke model, semi-commercial?
Technically it's the FS 56 RC - straight shaft, 2 stroke unit that in my opinion is for light to maybe moderate homeowner use. I paid $200 for it at the local dealer probably 6(?) years ago.

After sitting a number of years - minimum 5, probably longer, I pulled the plug and sprayed WD40 in the cylinder and down the carb before pulling it over several times. Then I added some 32:1 fuel and, added choke and she fired off on the 2nd pull! Not only that but it idles and takes throttle! It's not perfect and may still require some hard parts, but this is a great start.

Back