Sticking windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

For whatever reason, the window gaskets on my 04 saab really stick hard to the window glass. It is the only vehicle that does this.

Ive tried cleaning both sides, Ive used dry lube at the recommendation of others... No luck.

Im weary of using a grease like krytox, because it will smear badly, and I fear that the top edge is sticking, so it is a spot where it is needed.

All the windows, front and back, go all the way into the door... Making it more troublesome to use something with more staying power like a grease...

Thoughts?

Doesn't Mercedes make a special grease or "lotion" to apply to weather seals to keep them supple and nice for reasons like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
Doesn't Mercedes make a special grease to apply to weather seals to keep them supple and nice for reasons like this?

Good question - I thought the old einzett gummi pfledge was the item of choice for this kind of stuff, but not sure... As this is a window, it is a bit different... Especially since there is no indicaton of "stick" on any of the door seals or anything else on the car... Just the windows!

How about rubbing the area with a candle to get some wax on there? Is it the entire gasket or just a spot?

Last edited:
I've had success with particularly bad windows by using dielectric silicone grease on a brush, and liberally smearing the inside of the window jams with it.

While it may come out on the window, its clear. Its also inert and shouldn't harm any of the rubber in the window. After awhile any excess I got on the edges of the window went away and its been working fine since.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Doesn't Mercedes make a special grease to apply to weather seals to keep them supple and nice for reasons like this?

Good question - I thought the old einzett gummi pfledge was the item of choice for this kind of stuff, but not sure... As this is a window, it is a bit different... Especially since there is no indicaton of "stick" on any of the door seals or anything else on the car... Just the windows!

window seal, weather seal, either way its a foam/rubber with similar purpose
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

wink.gif

Except that it it were all the same, it would all stick. The doors do not stick!

Yes, and if you're worried about overspray or overdosing, just put a bit on a rag. There's another similar product that is actually better for the application than "regular" silicone spray. I cannot think for the life of me the name of the product right now, but when I go out to the garage or hit the office tonight, I'll check the cans.

In any case, it's like a silicone spray, but rather than being a purposed lubricant, it's designed to protect or condition (or whatever the marketing term is) various types of rubber surfaces without leaving a displeasing appearance. I've used it for the situation you've experienced, and it's great for sliding on coolant or water hoses in automotive and industrial applications, without leaving a mess, either.

Okay, I found it. It's called Kleen-Flo HG Rubber Care. It's in an aerosol can with an extremely retro design, but it works rather nicely. After my experiences with it, I wouldn't use much else on weather stripping, particularly if the glass meets the weather stripping.

wink.gif

Except that it it were all the same, it would all stick. The doors do not stick!

Glass and metal with paint on it are two different animals for a weather seal
laugh.gif

Rain-x the window. If you don't want it on the whole window ,just do the portion that contacts the seal.Polish on- polish off...

Clear, no grease, no residue.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Okay, I found it. It's called Kleen-Flo HG Rubber Care. It's in an aerosol can with an extremely retro design, but it works rather nicely. After my experiences with it, I wouldn't use much else on weather stripping, particularly if the glass meets the weather stripping.

And where did you buy it? Wonder if it can be found in the USA.

The Rain-X is another interesting possibility.

Nonetheless, with the product I'm talking about, one of my suppliers stocks it. Oddly enough, when I run a Google search, mostly Canadian websites pop up, which is a rarity.

Acklands-Grainger up here has it, so you might have luck down there, assuming their price isn't too appalling. Our Canadian Tires have it, and I may have seen it on the shelf at WM, too.

An RV shop might be another place, since a lot of RVers like it on the slides and the seals.

I just looked at their website. They have offices in some weird areas for a relatively global company (their interior cleaner is way popular in Europe): An office and three warehouses in Canada; Krakow, Poland; Aleppo, Syria; and some inscrutable address in China.

Their products are so ubiquitous up here I just assumed they'd be readily available down your way.
wink.gif
If you have a minute sometime, Google their website and take a look at the variety of products they have. It's actually pretty impressive. I use their contact cleaner and brake cleaner a lot, too.

Honda Shin Etsu weatherstripping grease is specifically designed for these type of application. It is expensive but worth it as one tube will last you lifetime (almost $20 shipped.)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Honda Shin Etsu weatherstripping grease is specifically designed for these type of application. It is expensive but worth it as one tube will last you lifetime (almost $20 shipped.)

I agree 100%. It works and is worth every cent.

I was probably the guy who told you to try Dri-lube as that is what we use at the plant for tight windows that roll slowly. If that doesn't work we willa actually place a wide, blunt tool into the window channel where the bind is and "tweak it". You may have to do this - go ahead and gently widen the tightest spot. I would dry-lube it again, too. I would not use silicone spray or grease, because like you said, it would be messy on the glass.

Pry away gently!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back