Stick with Mobil 1, or step down to Super syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I have a stash for my other two cars to last years, I now have only one car to buy for now, my wife's Cavalier. Her car has run on Mobil nearly all it's 70k, save for a few runs of PP and a quick run of QSAD for the first change.

The drive train of this car is nearly flawless, as everything engine/trans/susp (needs just control arm brushings) is in great shape or been replaced. The body, on the other hand, is getting hammered thanks to 8 MI winters, as the rust is starting to show it's real ugly head....

Hence my little debate-should I stick with M1 until I unload the car (should still be a few years), or just run with a cheaper oil like the Super Syn or maybe QSUD? In honesty, I think there is not a real difference, but I think the cheap BITOGer in me is coming out.

I kinda really want to try the Super Syn, but since this car only sees about 3 changes a year, spending an extra 12 bucks is not going to break me either.

Quick stats: 70 city/30 highway...sees an decent amount of stop and go/short trips. Oil is been changed between 5-6.5k. (keep in mind lots of city)

Thoughts? I'm tempted....but the gut says just stick with M1.

The engine is going to last with any oil. Since you seem to love Mobil I'd suggest Mobil 5000 drive clean super (or whatever they are calling it this week) and get on with it.

The vehicle will be in the same condition when you get rid of it in the future. Mobil's conventional is a excellent product!

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
The engine is going to last with any oil. Since you seem to love Mobil I'd suggest Mobil 5000 drive clean super (or whatever they are calling it this week) and get on with it.

The vehicle will be in the same condition when you get rid of it in the future. Mobil's conventional is a excellent product!

Take care, Bill

It's funny you say that....because of you I've been running some FS dino (sm) in my other Cav with great success. So much so I now have a stash of FS for it!
grin.gif

With hers, I still do want to run a synthetic, since it is the family car, and she is not easy on it either. (I just take good care of it. :)) One of the few times I figure better safe than sorry...and the car has had great success with it. Though if it does become mine, I could see some 5000 going in there...

Besides, I guess one car can stay Mobil since the other two run different types on oil......

I think Mobil Super Syn is more than good enough for 6-7k miles OCI.

I use synthetic only in my E430 because it needs synthetic, but I don't stuck with M1 0W40. I had been using PP, Synpower and still do 12-13k miles OCI according to FSS(MB oil life monitor).

I used dino and syn of many brands in my LS400, I just double the OCI with syn and do 1 oil filter with every syn but at second change with dino. Dino = 6-7k/6mo, Syn = 12-15k/12mo. Engine is running great at $260k+ miles.

I vote to step down to Super Syn if you like Mobil, or go QSUD. A lot of syn can be had for cheap or free with the rebates about.

I vote for SuperTech!! If you said you want to be cheap thats a really underrated oil. Lots of UOA's that show its power.

I agree with Bill that it will thrive on any name brand oil.
I would use QSUD over Mobil Super synth. I might even use it over Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
I vote for SuperTech!! If you said you want to be cheap thats a really underrated oil. Lots of UOA's that show its power.
That oil isn't cheap anymore!! Have you seen the prices on that? It's $22 here.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
That oil isn't cheap anymore!! Have you seen the prices on that? It's $22 here.
Well its $18 here. At my walmart I can get PP for $18.75 so theres no point in getting ST but that price wont last forever
frown.gif
I wish I could find some of this Mobil Super Syn. Id like to try it if the price is low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would base it on how often you want to change the oil! thats the real difference in these oils.

It's a good point. It's not like I run the M1 to 10k...

Originally Posted By: pbm
I agree with Bill that it will thrive on any name brand oil.
I would use QSUD over Mobil Super synth. I might even use it over Mobil 1.

It's funny you say that...I had some serious thought about that as well...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would base it on how often you want to change the oil! thats the real difference in these oils.

It's a good point. It's not like I run the M1 to 10k...

However, using M1 or other quality synthetics have other advantages over dino than longer OCIs.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/What_Is_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.aspx

33.gif

More marketing bull. In NORMAL engines which 99% of us have and use there are no advantages except for the "mindset" of the owner. (okay and the oil company)

Millions and MILLIONS of vehicles out there PROVE this.

You are correct in the fact that dino does a good job of protecting an engine for the average driver for the average OCI for the average number of miles they may keep the vehicle. However synthetic oil still has advantges over dino that 15% of the oil buying population want.

In about a week my Durango will need a service and the mechanic will add "Super Synthetic" over my tried and true Mobil 1. Here at PEP BOYS in my hood the M1 is NOW just as high as Royal Purple per quuart. Even the extended is more in cost than the standards now a days. In my Durangos current life I've basicall made a decision to switch down to using Super Synthetic as a standard cuz PEP BOYS stopped selling Kendall synthetic for the fantastic price of just under $5/quart.

Durango

Originally Posted By: tig1
You are correct in the fact that dino does a good job of protecting an engine for the average driver for the average OCI for the average number of miles they may keep the vehicle. However synthetic oil still has advantges over dino that 15% of the oil buying population want.

Replace want with hope for and I'll agree. And remember in your high 15% of the market number you use that most of those vehicles don't NEED (ie REQUIRE) syn from the factory.

That number is probably in the single digit percentage.

No problem with people using what they want. But I hope most people understand the different between want and need.

Quite a few here don't know the difference judging by their posting....

Bill

Of my cars, only MB E430 requires synthetic if follow FSS (oil life monitor) with OCI limited to 1 year or up to 15k miles. I used synthetic most of its life, but one time some years ago I used Chevron Delo 15W40 for less than half the normal OCI. The normal OCI is 1 year about 12-13k miles. No way I would use dino in that car for a full year. MB engines with FSS had been known to have sludge with dino oil if follow FSS OCI.

The 260+k miles LS400 had dino and syn back and ford, with dino the OCI was 6-7k/6mo and double that for syn. The same for S2000, 6 month OCI with dino and 1 year with syn.

In general I agree with Bill, most drivers use syn because of want not need, and they do the same OCI with syn as with dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back