Stick with Mobil 1, or step down to Super syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to sound kiss butt, but you guys are both right.

With the way my wife would drive over a longer OCI (one more based on city driving), Syn is going to be better for the beating that the oil is going to take.

Now for my Cav ( which has an easier drive), dino is an easy and simple choice. Syn is not going to have much of an advantage but in cold starting. The winter fill for this car is going to be QSUD for that reason. But as soon as we hit spring, back to Formula Shell it goes....

Last edited:
bill in utah is right that normal engines doesn't required to use synthetic oil..
you can use whatever you want. dino, semi or synthetic.

The key is change oil accordingly..
my 2006 toyota camry v6 is 236,000 miles. Mostly Dino Oil.

Originally Posted By: DavidZ28
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If it weren`t for Walmart,I wouldn`t use synthetic.

+1

What about sales?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

+1

What about sales?

I wish Oreilly would run the $4.99 M1 sale :^( It`s been like forever!

Yes it's true as most car now a days don't rewuire synthetic oil but I like it as a cushion if I can't do my OCI's on schedule sometimes.

It does appear to me though that more and more cars coming from the factory is filled with some sort of synthetic oil.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would base it on how often you want to change the oil! thats the real difference in these oils.

It's a good point. It's not like I run the M1 to 10k...

However, using M1 or other quality synthetics have other advantages over dino than longer OCIs.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/What_Is_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.aspx

33.gif

More marketing bull. In NORMAL engines which 99% of us have and use there are no advantages except for the "mindset" of the owner. (okay and the oil company)

Millions and MILLIONS of vehicles out there PROVE this.

WOW! I didn't know molecules could have inconsistent size.
Why_Synthetics_Synthetic_Vs_Conventional_Molecules_2011.jpg

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I would run Super Syn before M-1. I liked M-1 before they changed their formulation around 2002. Now I don't like it.

Why? What experience or proof are you basing this on. I've seen no change in my UOA's with M1 over the past 10 years - they've all been good.

We've never gotten solid proof if and how the Mobil 1 formula changed. It has been debated on here to death but (as far as I know) proof has never surfaced to support if the oil is better or worse.

Doesn't the formulation change all the time, especially to meet any new ratings like SM, SN, etc,etc

I would bet that they make tweaks to their formula more than anybody would know. It's a constant state of improvement.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Doesn't the formulation change all the time, especially to meet any new ratings like SM, SN, etc,etc

I would bet that they make tweaks to their formula more than anybody would know. It's a constant state of improvement.

That is true. I was responding to the other gentleman's post referring to the time period where Mobil 1 was accused of cheapening the formula, using Grp III stocks and so on. It was not about the rating.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog

Your right. I've used M1 oils since 1978 and todays oil is the best yet as far as I can tell by usage. Some here think all oils have improved over the years, and they have, except M1. How foolish.

I'd stick with the M1. You never know what the future brings. That car may have to last for you, and it may find itself in conditions you did not expect.

Use some oil based corrosion inhibiting compounds and stop the rust!

+1

What about sales?

I wish Oreilly would run the $4.99 M1 sale :^( It`s been like forever!

If you're a Costco member, you can buy M1 for $4.50 through next week with their $10 off per case coupon (limit 3). Three cases found their way into my garage.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I have over 200K miles on my Cavalier and have been running M1 for the last 150K or so.

Point taken.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I have over 200K miles on my Cavalier and have been running M1 for the last 150K or so.

Point taken.

I have 220k on my Corolla and it has run everything. I had 394k on my Jetta and it mostly ran Valvoline and Halvoline.

Point is oil IS oil and if you follow the requirements and ignore the marketing
20.gif
your end result will be the same.

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back