Stick with Asian pHOAT or go with Prestone?

yes, i've mixed Zerex Asian and Honda brand coolant with no problems in an Accord. Could not tell a difference.

In fact, the biggest difference in engine temp happened when I switched to Mobil 1 EP High Mileage. Pre-M1 EP HM, the coolant needle hit smack in the middle. After the switch, the need stops about 5% - 10% shy of the midpoint.
So you think the oil kept engine temps down?

So you think the oil kept engine temps down?
yes, as I added (drain-fill) the Zerex months before I switched to M1 EP HM, 0W-20.

after the oil change from conventional 5w-20, literally the next time I started the car and from then on, the coolant temp. needle never hits the midpoint anymore---even if the air temp is 90F+

K24 4-cyl. engine.

yes, as I added (drain-fill) the Zerex months before I switched to M1 EP HM, 0W-20.

after the oil change from conventional 5w-20, literally the next time I started the car and from then on, the coolant temp. needle never hits the midpoint anymore---even if the air temp is 90F+

K24 4-cyl. engine.
But coolant temperature is controlled by the thermostat. Hmm...

i am just reporting what happened.
Indeed but the problem comes in when you try and correlate some observation with one isolated variable. That's nearly always the problem on here, people observe something and then draw unfounded conclusion(s) based on that observation.

First off that temperature gauge in your Honda is not a thermometer nor is it a real temperature gauge.

Second, the heat that is generated in an oil comes from shear forces in the bearings. That is directly related to the viscosity and here you're comparing two oils of the same grade. There is no conceivable way that two oils of the same grade are going to have significantly different shear heating.

Third, you are not measuring the oil temperature but instead the coolant. The coolant temperature is controlled by the thermostat not something related to the oil temperature. Yes the total heat input is influenced by the oil temperature but just like the cooling fans it isn't what controls the temperature. This is akin to saying that the radiator controls the temperature which it does not.

If you are observing a real temperature change in the coolant then that's due to a malfunction of the thermostat. If it is running cooler than before then the thermostat is not closing properly and it is allowing the engine to run too cool. You don't want that. The engine should be operating at normal operating temperature (center of gauge), anything above or below this is not a good thing.

This is not your car, stick to OEM just in case your friend is not happy afterward, or if he doesn't want OEM tell him to buy his own coolant and you help him.

Zerex Asian, Honda blue, and Prestone with Cor-Guard are all P-OAT's (or P-HOAT's if you prefer) so they will all perform exactly the same. This is like debating which brand of bottled water will hydrate you the best.

I would drain and fill w distilled water until all clear then use prestone at whatever ratio you like. I would personally go 40 prestone / 60 distilled water.

Back