Stick shift to the shop, mechanics mistreating it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was expecting a side benefit of getting a stick for my next DD would be not having anyone else bothering me to drive it. However, the unintended consequence here is that the two times I've had to take it to someone else I've had to see it be mistreated. I have to say that it's really starting to irritate me and now it's even going to cost me money.

The first time was at the emissions testing station (before it was even tagged, fercryingoutloud!) when the guy had to get a waiver from his boss because he couldn't follow the test routine and then pulling it out of the bay jerked and bounced it and finally left it where it stalled, still in gear and without the parking brake set.

The second time was when I took it to a local well respected tire shop for new tires. One tech got it from the parking lot and seemed to know what he was doing so I breathed a sigh of relief and went and sat in the waiting room. A while later they called me up to hand me my invoice and that my car would be right out. This time it was being driven by some fat slob that couldn't be bothered to admit he didn't know how to drive stick and either get a tech that could or just hand me the keys in the bay. I cringed as I watched/heard him slipping the clutch half way across the parking lot. I was just glad to get it out of his hands and didn't think that he might have actually done serious damage in the 50ft he had driven it. The clutch was already on the long list of things that the car was going to need in the next 12 months but courtesy of this idiot now there is just barely any travel in the pedal at all. I have no doubt that in getting it out of the bay and up to the door he took the clutch life left from maybe 25k down to hopefully at least 10k but I wouldn't be shocked it it started slipping any day; it now just barely catches in the last 1/2" of pedal travel. There's no point in complaining to the shop. How am I supposed to prove it?

So, am I doomed to have my baby abused every time I take it in for someone else to work on? Those of you that also drive stick is this just the way it is or have I just been unlucky? I'm kind of at a loss as to how to prevent this. What good is asking a mechanic if he knows how to drive? What's he going to say? "No, you're right, I don't know how to drive a stick." Yeah, right, minus big Man Points there.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
He didn't wipe 15k miles off. Sorry. No way.
In a previous life I destroyed a new clutch in about two weeks* so I know it's more than possible. I've heard of others doing the same in days. I'm sure much of it came from getting it off the lift's pads but I didn't see the carnage from that, only smelled it.

(*long, sad story - too long, won't tell, not completely my fault)

Last edited:
Hi.

I am pretty confident that your car is ok. Transmissions aren't fragile things; they can withstand driving errors.

It also depends on engine and drivetrain design as well.

I wouldn't worry about it. But you shouldn't take it to the same places again for your peace of mind. You could try to DIY maintenance, but it doesn't seem possible with the two cases you mentioned because those are primarily done in shops.

Happens everytime I'm at Discount Tire. After about 3 seconds of seeing that the guy they tossed the keys to can't drive stick, I kindly tell them I'll back it out of the bay.

DREW99GT has the right idea. Tell them you want to drive it in and out of the shop. Keeps the slather-[censored] so called techs from wrecking your car.

I had a clutch absolutly smoked by the clowns at a local carwash. They would not own up to it but soon went out of business.

Idiot had the engine revving 4000+ rpm and had the trans in 4th gear. By the time I heard the racket and saw the smoke my clutch was ruined.

The guys at Americas tire dont seem to have a problem driving a stick.

Just tell them it's a stage 6 clutch. And you will drive it into bay or out of, or have them sign a paper acknowledge free clutch replacement.

Works every time I reluctantly bring my car in.

And for tires, I photograph the rims and show them the photos, if they don't use rubber protected socket drivers or are really careful they will be buying new rims.

Worked for my father on his rx-8. All new rims and tires for a sweet price of 2800. And that was at the Mazda dealer. I think they hate him when he comes rolling in for an oil change, not a drop of oil spilled in the engine bay.

A huge pet peeve of mine is when I will take my car in for work they leave the trans in neutral when they park it. I came to pick up my car and not only was the trans in neutral, but the e-brake was not set.

I have the Sears I used to be both a tech and a service writer do the oil changes for me because I don't want to deal with my car being so low. Plus they usually have one of the more experienced techs do the work since they know I am fairly picky. One of the newbs there tried to tell me my car needed a clutch when he was having a hard time getting it into reverse. There is a TSB for that concern where you put a lube on the input shaft. It didn't click in his head that I knew about it, but wasn't going to do it because pulling a trans on a S60R is fairly time consuming and I am not going to to that TSB until I do a clutch as well.

Originally Posted By: dtt004
Hi.

I am pretty confident that your car is ok. Transmissions aren't fragile things; they can withstand driving errors.

It also depends on engine and drivetrain design as well.

I wouldn't worry about it. But you shouldn't take it to the same places again for your peace of mind. You could try to DIY maintenance, but it doesn't seem possible with the two cases you mentioned because those are primarily done in shops.

While you're correct that a transmission can usually take some abuse, a clutch (and a worn one at that) is a different story. Lot's of revving and slipping the clutch while in the wrong gear (say 3rd instead of 1st) can frag an already weak clutch.

It's too bad more people can't drive one... It should still be a requisite in driver's ed. All of us at the shop I work at are good at driving a manual transmission - probably better than most of the customers.

A clutch can be intentionally destroyed in a matter of minutes. Easily in fact if someone wants to. Find a hill, put the tranny in 5th gear and slip the clutch holding the car on the hill until you smell clutch, then hold a little longer till well done. Glazed, burnt, and ruined, it doesn't take much.

An inexperienced driver can ruin a marginal clutch in short order. We had a moron salesman that couldn't drive stick, and would sometimes have to move cars on the lot for test drives that had a stick. This moron ruined more than one clutch over revving and slipping them not to stall the car and look stupid.

OP- over the years I asked more than one mechanic to kindly let me drive my van into the bay. I'd get a sick feeling listening to them rev the van, slipping the clutch not to stall it. One idiot tried pulling into the bay in third gear! Most good shops have techs that know how to drive a stick, and in all honesty it should be required of them.

One problem Ive run into is every clutch acts differently so I often stall or slip more than I intend to until I figure out its particular response.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
One problem Ive run into is every clutch acts differently so I often stall or slip more than I intend to until I figure out its particular response.

A little extra slipping in order to figure out an engine/car is still way better than some mouth breathing drooly revving it to the moon while trying to get a car to move in 3rd....

in an unfamiliar car I always let the clutch out at idle until I feel it start to grab. then I let off a touch more and add gas until my foot is off. I try to limit to 1200 rpm and if it goes over I back off until I get it right. I'll get it rolling at idle if I can until I know the feel.

anyone that drives a motorcycle knows this technique-- otherwise they'll end up on their back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cchase
Just the clutch being near the top of travel doesn't necessarily mean anything.
It's hydraulic so I figured that's all there was to it. Is that not correct?

Originally Posted By: calvin1
Originally Posted By: cchase
Just the clutch being near the top of travel doesn't necessarily mean anything.
It's hydraulic so I figured that's all there was to it. Is that not correct?

I've driven vehicles with very few miles that have a clutch practically all the way up and ones with clutches that were just about completely shot that engage halfway up or lower.

I had to teach my helper how to drive a standard trans. It's not like manual transmissions are common anymore but it's annoying to have him interrupt me on a job to pull in, or test drive a car.

I do sympathize with those that have to deal with shops. They don't abuse your transmission/clutch on purpose. I took my Jeep (J4000) in for an inspection last year and got a new kid who had no clue how to drive it. He was cool and he rode with me while I took it around the block and did the brake/stopping distance test on it.

If you ask them whether they can drive stick of course they're not gonna own up. You should never let it progress to that point in the first place.

Theirs is not to choose whether or not they may move your car. You make it clear from the getgo that no one is allowed behind the wheel but you and if they aren't down with that (they pour you some insurance, health and safety or whatever other [censored]) then tough tamales, you take your business elsewhere.

And don't worry, just cause you smelt clutch a bit, once doesn't in any way mean permanent or severe damage/wear. You should definitely cease and desist whatever it is you're trying to do, though.

I overheated my clutch once trying to get a couple 'tards unstuck. It was a Golf with DSG. No good deed goes unpunished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back